10.10.3 Dual-Cable Displays 5K has come

Discussion in 'iMac' started by frompast, Apr 11, 2015.

1. frompast macrumors member

Dual-Cable Displays
    Some displays with resolutions higher than 4K require two DisplayPort cables to connect the display at full resolution. With OS X Yosemite v10.10.3 or later, the Dell UP2715K 27-inch 5K display is supported on the following Mac computers:
    Mac Pro (Late 2013)
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

per Apple support
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

2. rdav macrumors 6502

rdav

nMP(6): 2x 5k(Mst) Monitors /$5k(60Hz).

In theory, the nMP(6) should be able to run two of the Dell(UP2715K) 5k(60Hz) monitors via MST. Using four of the six TB2 ports, since it has three TB2 controllers.

Was at one of the larger Apple-Stores yesterday. Asked a tech "Genius" to confirm this. (He had already stated that he was an expert on the Mac Pro). Certainly, it's not explained in the online specs. But he had no idea.

So he disappeared for a while to check with the expert technicians. Eventually, he returned to explain that... "nobody knows". :confused: Maybe they should just purchase a couple and plug them in.

3. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I have the Dell 5K display running at 5120x2880 60Hz on the nMP using the dual mDP to DP cables that come with the display. It exhibits the Retina effect scaled to 2560x1440 -- identical in quality to the iMac 5K sitting next to it.

Also works with the 2010 Mac Pro tower with the Geforce GTX 970, 980, and TITAN X.

Wish Apple offered their own version of the 5K display. I have to say this is one of the nicer looking Dell displays with height adjustment and option to pivot to portrait mode.kk

4. shaunp macrumors 65816

That would be nice. A lot of people don't 'need' 4K or higher but as a photographer I find my Dell U2711 very fuzzy compared to the retina screen on my MBP. I've just been waiting for the whole 4K market to settle down a bit before I decide what to buy

5. theluggage macrumors 68030

Probably not going to happen until Thunderbolt 3 with DisplayPort 1.3, which should support 1.3 on a single cable.

A 2-cable solution isn't much good on an iMac or MBP where it occupies both Thunderbolt ports. Meanwhile, Mac Pro customers (a minority to start with) will have quite diverse monitor needs. I'm sure some MP users have bought TB displays, but the TB display's Unique Selling Point is as a laptop dock.

Meanwhile, I suspect USB-C (carrying DP 1.3) will take off as a display connection format - in some ways, it sounds simpler than Thunderbolt as it can physically allocate some wires to DP signals while using others for USB 3 (so the display just needs a USB hub and DisplayPort, and you could hook it up to a DP-only computer with a passive adapter cable) - TB either switches the whole connector to legacy DP (which means no TB data at all) or moshes the DP in with the TB signal (meaning it needs a true TB device at both ends - no plugging a TB display into a DP computer).

6. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Can you use it in a scaled 3200x1800 mode like on the Retina iMac?

7. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Yes.