10.10.3 - where are my photos in Finder?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Kevrani, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Kevrani macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm probably overlooking the obvious, but I can't find my photo collection in Finder. I can find the Photos app in the Pictures folder, but how do I access the actual picture files in Finder?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The photos app is in the Application folder not your Pictures folder. The library that holds your images is in the Pictures folder. I think you're confusing the library for the app itself. Its a container type file and if you right click and and select show contents. You can then navigate around in there and see your images (though I'd not touch/move anything as you'll corrupt your library).

The images are stored inside the library (unless you specifically chose to use the by reference option which I'm not even sure the photos app does but iPhoto does).

3. Kevrani thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, that makes sense.

But if I want to upload a pic to a website using Safari, you suggest doesn't work. I can see the Photos library (which isn't the app, as you pointed out), but can't do any further

I can do this on my iOS devices, but I can't seem to with OS X

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to export the image from within the app. You can then save that image where ever you want it.

5. Kevrani thread starter macrumors newbie

6. simon201 macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm experiencing this problem as well in Safari with 10.10.3. There's no 'Media' in the sidebar when uploading something to a website in Safari (or at least with a few forums and websites I've tried).
    For instance, here on Macrumors when you go to 'Manage Attachments' and try to upload a pic there's no 'Media' in the sidebar. It is there in 'Mail' though when say, attaching an item to a mail.

Hope it's just a beta thing...

7. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

probably a beta issue. the 'media' sidebar shows up in apple mail (including the photos in Photos), but no media here also in safari (same problem in chrome as well)...

for now, your best option may be to copy a picture to the Desktop (or wherever), and upload from there...

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

When I right click on a pic in Photos, there is a selection that says something like "reveal location in Finder" That's great, but clicking on that entry doesn't do anything here for the last couple of dev betas. Maybe because the pics are on an external TB drive, but I doubt that is the case. There are a few glaring dysfunction bugs in this preview.

9. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

either way, that's not how to access them. you have to go thru the Photos interface (as we did with iPhoto). and again, you can always drag a photo from the app to, say, the Desktop, if you need Finder access...