10.10.5 killed Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GrumpyTrucker, Aug 15, 2015.

1. GrumpyTrucker macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I see a few people have mentioned this but I'll chip in too. Just updated to 10.10.5 and on reboot all Bluetooth functionality on iMac has died. Icon has the wiggly line through it and says "Not Available". No Bluetooth devices are found in preferences. I've trashed the Bluetooth plist file and reset the SMC and PRAM but still no Bluetooth. How the hell do Apple put out an OS update that kills bluetooth? All was working 100% before 10.10.5. The only change was the OS update. I'm fuming. No gestures on mouse or anything now.

Anyone any other ideas on how to fix this without taking it to an Apple Store? Not easy to lug a 27" iMac into a huge shopping centre.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Download and install the combined 10.10.5 updater. You can get that here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1832

That is a fix used for most of the time that OS X has existed, when OS X suddenly goes wonky after a delta update.
    Should get you going again.

If it does not make your bluetooth devices available, then reinstall Yosemite.

3. GrumpyTrucker thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home later. I keep forgetting about the combined updater. Maybe I'm missing something obvious but if there's a need for a combined updater to exist to fix some issues after an OS update, maybe that should tell them that these Delta updates aren't really working properly? Or am I applying too much common sense to it?

Still don't think there should be a need to mess about like this after an OS update. I can live with it if an update breaks something from a third party, or at least understand it, but I still can't figure out how an OS update breaks Apple's own hardware. Drives me nuts.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Maybe, but not everyone has problems with the delta updates. I had no problem after that update, using bluetooth trackpad. The fallback to the combined updater is a troubleshooting method, as it can clear up glitches that appear as a result of a variety of software issues, not just OS X updates.

I hear your frustration, and you have a valid complaint. But, keep in mind that there are millions of successful updates. Most folks come here to complain, not to report a successful update!
    Every Mac is different, with different mixes of software, settings, and hardware in use.
    Glitches happen.
    Can you (or Apple) allow for every possible situation? Probably not. Some users give up quickly, and move back to a working system version - maybe because of work, or other equally good reasons. Other users will try to work through to a fix, if possible
    My idea is to work through the simple ones first. (IMHO, restoring to a recent backup is not at the top of my list, but may be for others

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Nice post. This is a good reminder.

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I would first call Apple to see if they can help. That is what I would do first before lugging the iMac into the store.

7. GrumpyTrucker thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I agree I can't allow for every possible situation but I'd think Apple could at least be fairly sure that an update won't kill their own installed hardware. That's the one thing they do have control over. Third party software/hardware breaking from an update fair enough, Apple can't account for every permutation out there, but the BT card in my Mac came with my Mac. It worked fine with Lion, Mountain Lion (and all updates), then Yosemite (Beta version and all updates up to this one).

If I've got to start messing about with reinstalling Yosemite as a potential fix (once all other options are exhausted) I might just try El Cap beta. Can't get any worse can it? :D

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Try the combined updater first before you reinstall Yosemite, or even "side-grade" to El Cap. I think you would really prefer to fix your issue, and not really hoping it doesn't "get any worse".

9. GrumpyTrucker thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booted into Safe Mode, Bluetooth back in all its glory. Reboot back into normal mode and Bluetooth gone again. Downloading combo updater now. More in hope than expectation I think

10. GrumpyTrucker thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. GrumpyTrucker thread starter macrumors 6502a

And reinstalling OS X hasn't helped either. Obviously there's SOME bluetooth functionality because I'm typing this on my wireless BT keyboard and moving my cursor around with my Magic Mouse. I just have limited use - no gestures, scrolling etc. Not fun.

Might try the El Cap Beta now, then if that doesn't work nuke and pave, then restore apps and docs from Time Machine.

12. Taz Mangus, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If you can boot into safe mode and everything seems to work fine then there is something installed that is causing the issue. In safe mode, no third party drivers are loaded and cache is disabled. Try this, create a new partition on your internal hard drive, clean install OS X to the new partition. Boot to the new partition and setup OS X but don't install anything other than the basic system. Does the issue still happen in the new partition? If it does not then that tells you that the issues you are having is due to something that you installed which could be some sort of third party software or driver incompatibility. When you are done boot back to you primary partition and delete the new partition.

If you do a clean install, I suggest that you just don't restore everything all at once because you could reintroduce the issue again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Before you do go off and do a clean install try this first:
    1. Open System Preferences->Users & Groups->Login Items Tab. Remove all items listed.
    2. Hold OPTION-key and click on "Go" from the menubar. Click on Library.
    3. Browse to LaunchAgents folder. Rename whatever is in the folder by putting ".save" at the end of ".plist" (e.g. .plist.save).
    4. Browse to /System/Library/StartupItems. Rename any items in that folder by putting ".save" at the end of the filename.
    Now reboot the computer. Login to your account and see if the Bluetooth issue happens.

13. GrumpyTrucker thread starter macrumors 6502a

My patience wth the darned thing ran out long before your reply. I'd tried everything I could think of (the simpler stuff anyway) and was an inch away from hurling the thing out of the window. I'm still at a complete loss why an update to OS X would kill my Bluetooth when it was working fine before, and still worked fine in Safe Mode.

Now, I fully grasp the concept that something I've got installed could be interfering with something in 10.10.5 and knocking out the Bluetooth. However, and this is where everyone just walks away and goes "fool", for some reason running El Cap brings Bluetooth back just fine and dandy. So 10.10.5 might have something that is conflicting with my Bluetooth but 10.11 Beta doesn't. Oh well, I've probably swapped one set of issues for another but I ran the Yosemite Beta without any issues and to be fair, it's a leisure machine and there's nothing critical on it that I can't afford to nuke & pave if I have major issues.