10.10.5 Update Resetting Desktops

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by !!!, Aug 15, 2015.

1. !!! macrumors 6502

Today when I updated to 10.10.5 I noticed that all my mission control desktops were gone, except for my main one. I also noticed Apple decided I needed iBooks, Maps, and Photos in my dock.
    I do have a Time Machine backup and tried restoring the com.apple.dock Pref as well as the ~/Library/AppSupport/Dock database file.
    How can I restore my Desktops?! I had them all sorted with different wallpapers and set apps to open in different ones!

2. !!! thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I re-added my Desktops and rebooted. Now they are gone!!!!
    WTF is happening?! Can someone please help as I would really like to just have my desktops act normal again.

3. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Yosemite has been adding a new desktop every time I reboot, ever since Yosemite came out. I delete it each time. If I don't, I end up with lots of them after a while. I have dual monitors, which may confuse it, because it does not add the extra desktops on my MBP.

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If you only use one monitor the multiple desktops don't appear. Have you tried creating a new user account, and seeing if the multiple desktop issue still occurs?

5. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Well, yes. I have an external SSD, connected to this dual monitor hardware, that I just used last week to test the integrity of the 10.10.5 USB stick I made. I did a complete wipe of the SSD and a fresh install on it, so everything is new and pristine. In fact I just now booted it for the second time only. Sure enough, there was an extra desktop there, besides the two for the two monitors.