10.11.1 Mail.app crashes on startup

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by mastercraft813, Oct 23, 2015.

1. mastercraft813 macrumors member

mastercraft813

I found a thread discussing this issue occurring in the 10.11.1 beta but I have not seen any threads or posts about this issue in the 10.11.1 official release.

Upgraded to 10.11.1 yesterday. Mail.app crashes on startup. It only crashes if there is an email account enabled. My iCloud account is the only email account on this particular machine. If the email account is enabled, Mail.app will crash on startup. If I go into System Preferences and disable the email account, Mail.app will open, but there is no email account enabled so it's useless. If I disable the email account, open Mail.app, then go into Mail preferences and enable the account, it crashes immediately.

If it matters this is a Early 2011, 13-inch, Macbook Pro, 2.7 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 10.11.1 is installed on a 250 GB internal SSD, and there is a 1 TB HDD in the optical drive bay.

Thank you.

2. Jeff Hall macrumors regular

Jeff Hall

I'm having the same problem, immediately following updating to 10.11.1.

3. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

If you don't have any messages stored locally, you can reset Mail.

In your User's Library,
    In Containers > delete apple.mail.com
    Delete the Mail folder
    Log out/in
    Empty the trash.
    Open Mail and add your iCloud account.

If you have multiple accounts and/or store messages under "On My Mac" you will have to import the Mailboxes folder from a backup.

4. mastercraft813, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

mastercraft813 thread starter macrumors member

mastercraft813

Thank you. The only email account I have synced to this computer is my iCloud account. Since that's stored in the cloud, I should be okay to reset mail, correct? Just want to confirm before I do the reset.

EDIT: I don't have a Containers folder in Library.

5. mastercraft813 thread starter macrumors member

mastercraft813

I still haven't been able to fix this issue.
    I don't have a Containers folder in Library and I could not locate the apple.mail.com folder anywhere else.
    Can anyone else help out? Thanks.

6. ntsmkfob macrumors newbie

You need Show All Files on. Open ~/Library/Containers and delete com.apple.mail folder.

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

There are a couple of ways to get there.

1st method: Click on a blank part of the desktop so that Finder is displayed in the upper left menu bar. Hold the option (alt) key and click on the Go menu. You will see Library available, select it. Now look for the Containers folder.

2nd method: Copy "~/Library/Containers" (without quotes). Click on a blank part of the desktop so that Finder is displayed in the upper left menu bar. Press keys shift+command+g (the Go To Folder... window will open). Paste "~/Library/Containers" (without quotes) and press Go. Now look for the Containers folder.

8. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

No mail crashes in 10.11 or 10.11.1 for me but it's been flaky: forgetting passwords and signatures. Apple needs to work on it a bit more...

9. mastercraft813 thread starter macrumors member

mastercraft813

Thank you very much. I found com.apple.mail folder, deleted it, emptied the trash, restarted the computer, tried to enable my iCloud email account, and Mail immediately crashed. Mail crashes everytime I try to enable my iCloud email account so the same thing is still happening that I described in my original post.

10. mastercraft813 thread starter macrumors member

mastercraft813

Update/Follow up: I never got Mail to work in 10.11.1 but I just updated to 10.11.2 Beta (15C40a) and it appears to be fixed.