10.11.3 TM hourly backups

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by ledzep1, Jan 24, 2016.

1. ledzep1 macrumors member

Hi

New to these forums:)

I hope someone can help with a problem that I have since I updated to El Capitan, all was well on Yosemite but now my external "my passport" hdd that I use for time machine does not attempt the hourly backups when my iMac is sleeping or when active.

The only time it does a backup is when I first wake it from sleep.

I have all the same settings as on Yosemite, power nap enabled, put hdd to sleep when possible (disabled).

When a backup is timed for say 18.50 it will skip it and schedule the backup for 19.50 but it will then skip that and so on.

Ive been reading a lot of threads on this but all I can find are old threads when the problem was reported on earlier versions and lots have said it was fixed in 10.11.2.

but here I am on 10.11.3 with the problem. Maybe theres a fix or is anyone else having the same issue with the latest version of el capitan.

thanks very much

2. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I have just set up an EHD for TM backups for my 2015 mbp 10.11.3 and it works the same way. I have my Sys Pref Energy Settings set up same as yours. My backups are working the same way, only backing up when I wake the mbp up to use it. Dont really care because I am considering doing scheduled TM backups. But I too had read it does hourly backups for the past 24 hours and mine isnt. It makes sense to me since there is nothing to back up while it is sleeping but I was hoping you got an answer from the experts here because I am curious why mine isnt doing what Apple says it is supposed to. Never did backups before so maybe I just dont really understand TM info I read.

3. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

No one has any comment? If your TM is backing up every hour under 10.11.3 (even while asleep) please at least say yours is working as it should. Like I said, I dont really care, but With my mbp being new, I can call Apple to see if I can get it working as it should.

4. ledzep1 thread starter macrumors member

Hi IpadNParadise, well at least we share the same issue and hopefully we can find an explanation. Ive posted this in the apple support forums as well and yet to receive a response from others.

200+ views on here as well, maybe its not an issue worthy of a response:(

5. JohnDS macrumors 65816

My understanding is that if you have power nap available, the Mac will do one back up after going to sleep, but will not attempt another backup until it wakes. This makes sense as nothing will have changed in the interim.

Also, by default, Time Machine is set not to backup when on battery power, so you won't get hourly backups when the computer is not connected to the power.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Do you have the computer attached to a UPS? If it's a laptop, is it running on AC power or battery?

7. IPadNParadise, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Mine is always on AC. I dont need portability just the smaller mbp for my table it sits on. Power Nap is enabled but it doesn't do a backup since the one it last did BEFORE I closed the lid. No UPS.

8. ledzep1 thread starter macrumors member

Hi

Im on an iMac mains powered on 24/7. Whats weird is on yosemite with same power save settings it did hourly backups as normal.

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I've seen it skip a backup like that. In my case it started backing up on its own again.