10.11.4 beachball

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by ledzep1, Apr 7, 2016.

1. ledzep1 macrumors member

Hi

Im not sure I noticed it as much in previous versions of El Capitan but since 10.11.4, I occasionally get the beachball appear in Safari, but it does not seem to screw up anything, but just show itself for a few seconds and then disappear after I click on another link or tab.

Also today I had Apple Mail and Safari open and the beachball appeared, this time however it really screwed things up, I could not force quit from the Apple Menu and no key combo to force quit would work and I could not log out or restart.
    In the end I was forced to power off/on from iMac power button.

It's quite annoying such things happen on our iMac, its normally very snappy.

I must note the above happens very rarely, I'm guessing its just El Capitan bugs?

2. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

3. mildocjr macrumors 65816

Well, I've got three things for you to try.

1) Reset safari through the menu bar.
    2) Reset it again and close it out then delete the safari preferences file located at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
    3) Take it's suggestion and have a beach party. :D

Outside of that, it may just be a bad safari install and you can either wait for a new updated safari (who knows when that will be, maybe with 10.11.5) or you can reinstall the OS.

4. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

No beachball problems but I noticed 10.11.4 takes a little longer to startup my Mac than 10.11.2. I suffered plenty of beachballs in 10.11 and am glad they're gone.

5. ledzep1 thread starter macrumors member

What does reset clear?

I've got a few extensions and favourites, would it delete these? also I take it deleting the safari preferences file creates a new file afterwards?

Thanks

6. mildocjr macrumors 65816

It doesn't clear extensions and favorites. If you have iCloud Safari sync on it will restore those anyways, You can always make a backup of the file instead of deleting it by renaming it with a different extension such as .old or .bak.