10.11.4 broke netflix

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by cbreze, Mar 28, 2016.

1. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

Can no longer get netflix to work properly. Since the latest update on my mac book pro(2012). Sux, wish I hadn't updated. Something on their side I'm guessing since all other movie/video sites work alright. NF is what I really enjoy tho.

2. SgtPepper23 macrumors regular

What browser are you using? have you updated Microsoft Silverlight? I'm my 2010 MBP and its streaming just fine.

3. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

as sgtpepper23 says. try updating or reinstalling silverlight...

4. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

5. cbreze, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

cbreze thread starter macrumors 6502

cbreze

Safari browser. Tried Chrome and it does work. I prefer safari. How does one update silverlight if necessary? I'll check with google

Simon, you using without silverlight and no problems eh?

EDIT: Google tells me silverlight needs to be installed(knew this already), so I check and it is. Furthermore it says make sure it doesn't need to be updated. Don't know how to check that other than try to watch netflix and get a popup directing me to update silverlight. Can't get the popup. Guess I'll watch it using Chrome till I get it sorted out.
    Anyone know a way to make sure silverlight is the latest version?

6. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Correct. Works fine.

You could always try to reinstall 10.11.4 over the current image. You won't lose any data.

7. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

don't see the need to reinstall the OS for this. after one of the recent 10.11.4 betas, netflix stopped working for me in safari. i just downloaded silverlight again, installed it over the earlier install, and was back in business.

8. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Google is wrong. You haven't needed Silverlight since 2014 if you use Safari on the Mac. Netflix began switching over to HTML5 in 2013 (I believe). In fact, I believe you don't need Silverlight on any browser on the Mac—at least not the big three.

9. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

amazon video requires silverlight for safari on the mac:

"Microsoft Silverlight is a browser plugin used to play video content on Firefox, Safari, and some previous versions of Internet Explorer."

i thought this was also true for netflix (in safari)...

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/22822

You still need Silverlight on older (pre-2011) Macs. Newer models on Yosemite or better do not need it.

OP>> You meet the specs to use NF without Silverlight, so that should not be the issue. I just checked on 10.11.4 here and I can run NF in Safari just fine without Silverlight.

11. cbreze, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016

cbreze thread starter macrumors 6502

cbreze

I uninstalled silverlight and tried NF and won't work, so was planning on redownloading a fresh copy of silverlight, but if I don't need it then not sure how to proceed. How to get NF to work with no silverlight? Anyone? On Chrome NF works fine so a safari issue? Don't care for Chrome on a mac BTW.
    EDIT: Nah, somethings goofy. I can play videos and movies from any number of other sites except netflix. I have the latest update on my 2012 macbook. It was working fine prior to the latest update, although that's when silverlight was installed. Not being super tech savvy I don't want to try a reinstall of a version I already have on. Everything else works sweet. I'll keep searching the web for a solution and report back if I can get it going. If there is any more suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just as a test, make a new account on your Mac in Users & Groups in System Preferences. Then logout of your account and login to the test account then try NF with Safari. If that works, it tells us it is something in your account like an extension or utility causing a conflict.

13. twintin macrumors 6502

I'm using NF with an 2012 Air running 10.11.4 without silverlight installed without any issue. You did not specify in what way NF stopped working for you (is it choppy, just a black screen or something else) ?

To make it work without silverlight I don't think you should need to do anything else beside uninstalling it (at least I don't recall me doing anything else).

14. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

interesting, then. netflix does not need it, but amazon video still requires silverlight to watch movies in safari...

15. cbreze thread starter macrumors 6502

cbreze

I can open NF just fine but when I click on a show to watch it says "oops something happened, blah,blah,blah then says try to refresh which does not work, same results.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2016 ---
    Uninstalled it(silverlight), no change. I don't care for the chrome browser app on here as it's not very smooth or quick, but seems to work with NF. For now I'll just use it for that only. Not that big of a deal, just wondering why the sudden issue with NF. Has to be tied to the recent update.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2016 ---
    Tried making a new account login and it locked up the whole thing. Couldn't do anything, wouldn't even boot into safe mode. Weirdness going on as I have created new user accounts before with no issue. Got it back to normal finally after much googling on my cell phone. as I'm leaving town tomorrow for a week I think I'll let it go for now. Thanks tho.

16. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I'm not a big Chrome fan either, but maybe try Firefox. I use that more than Chrome.

17. cbreze thread starter macrumors 6502

cbreze

Might give that one a try. Chrome is fine on android devices just seems out of it's element on a mac and not very smooth.

18. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Yea I hate Chrome. I only use when flashes is needed. Otherwise it's Safari then Firefox.

19. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Thats also one possible symptom when NF detects you are using a proxy.

20. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

OP: You don't by chance have a second monitor attached to your Mac do you? If so, is it an older screen? Is it connected via a VGA adapter? DVI adapter?

I've had the exact same error message happen to me with an older 30" Dell LCD connected to a relatively new iMac via a dual link DVI adapter. Disconnecting the 2nd monitor fixed the NF issue.

21. cynics macrumors G3

Or trying to AirPlay. You'll also run into issues.

I use Safari for everything but you need to keep in mind it's not the most powerful browser especially in regards to HTML5.