10.11.5 and mac mail

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Lodesman, May 18, 2016.

1. Lodesman macrumors regular

Lodesman

I am being cautious to say it but updating to 10.11.5 removed my IMAP mail account and since reinstalling my details the PITA glitch where my outgoing server would not retain my password for more than an hour seems (hopefully) to have disappeared.

So far 10 hours with no problems (unheard of in the past since the last update).

Fingers crossed.

2. Lodesman thread starter macrumors regular

Lodesman

Spoke too soon !

The old problem of Mac mail not remembering my outgoing server password is back.
    Anyone any suggestions?

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

4. Lodesman thread starter macrumors regular

Lodesman

Basically, deleting and reinstalling the mail program.
    Also deleting my IMAP settings and reinstalling them.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You deleted the Mail app and then reinstalled OS X to get it back?

6. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

My Mac was forgetting it's PW and outgoing server under constantly. I went through my email accounts and updated the ports, security settings, servers, etc., as detailed by the providers (something I did bother with for many years). Apparently 10.11.x is more picky about that stuff than Mavericks was.

7. Buggyflayer macrumors regular

The day after updating to 10.11.5 all my email accounts wanted passwords again. Re-entering them in the pop-up boxes sorted it that day.

Today one of the IMAP accounts continually rejected my password as I tried to send mail, entering and re-entering the password in the popup box didn't work.
    In Mail if you click on Accounts you get the Internet Accounts which is the same as from the main System Preferences. There is a kind of overview of Mail & Internet services in there, including a Password bit. Re-entering the password here made no difference...

Going into Mail then Preferences you get a box where you can click the Accounts Tab. From here you can click on 'Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)' Then 'Edit SMPT Server List...' re-entering the password here & all was well accompanied by the whoosh of email outbound.

8. Beerme737 macrumors newbie

10.11.5 update. Here's one: All the emails and accounts lost from the mac. I can't even connect to the gmail accounts. When it asks "what services" and I click done, it stops. I hit "cancel" and mail closes. Preferences is grayed on the command bar, so I can't even see if there's a bad setting.

Help!