10.11.5 update - and no more external monitors?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by aw70, May 18, 2016.

1. aw70 macrumors newbie

Hi!

Installed 10.11.5 on my 2015 retina MBP yesterday, no issues during install. And it works normally in all regards, except that it seems to now have contacted the dreaded "El Capitan cannot see any external monitors" disease. Tried everything that forum lore has to offer: SMC reset, NVRAM reset, unplug all involved devices, wait, switch them on again. Nothing. From the looks of it, the system assumes the external display to be in sleep mode, even though the in-built screen is switched on.

Anyone else experience this? And does anyone have any additional suggestions to try? I need my MBP for teaching, so not being able to connect to beamers and such in the lecture halls is quite a deal breaker.

Cheers

A.
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2016 ---
    Interestingly, by keeping on switching things on and off, I was able to resolve this. Here is what finally did the trick:

- Connect the machine to an external display it had not seen before (!? - why this should matter, I have no idea). This made the whole "external monitor" section of the Display preferences come alive again.

- And then, let the 27'' Dell that is normally connected to it stand for a few minutes without power (to completely reset it)

Turns out that in addition to whatever was going on with the MBP, the update had crashed the external monitor as well. Once both had been repeatedly reset and powered up and down, things went back to normal.

Turning it off and on again: the time-honoured solution for anything electronic...

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Odd, I did the 10.11.5 update on my MBA for work, with a 27" Dell plugged in and it went fine. The Dell is plugged in using a MDP > DVI adapter, if it matters.