Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Hi,

I have a late 2012 iMac 21.5 16Gb memory.

Until the latest update it has generally run pretty well, with very rare spinny balls. Since the upgrade spinny balls are quite frequent and there have been several complete freezes needing a hard restart.

On the other hand, on the plus side, we recently had our broadband upgraded from 4Mbs to about 16Mbs, still not excatly High Speed but web browsing (Firefox 50) was very much quicker for a while.

Howevere this last few days the web browser has slowed to a crawl yet Speedtest.net still reports around 16Mbs. The only additional thing that may account for it was that I donloaded and installed Scanguard I ran this and it reported just 2 "threats" which I removed.

Could this program be causing my problems? Looking at the Activity Monitor it shows Firefox web content using up to 100% of CPU time.

Any suggestions how to fix this?

Buggyflayer

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2014
West Sussex, UK
Hi,

I have a late 2012 iMac 21.5 16Gb memory.

Until the latest update it has generally run pretty well, with very rare spinny balls. Since the upgrade spinny balls are quite frequent and there have been several complete freezes needing a hard restart.

On the other hand, on the plus side, we recently had our broadband upgraded from 4Mbs to about 16Mbs, still not excatly High Speed but web browsing (Firefox 50) was very much quicker for a while.

Howevere this last few days the web browser has slowed to a crawl yet Speedtest.net still reports around 16Mbs. The only additional thing that may account for it was that I donloaded and installed Scanguard I ran this and it reported just 2 "threats" which I removed.

Could this program be causing my problems? Looking at the Activity Monitor it shows Firefox web content using up to 100% of CPU time.

Any suggestions how to fix this?

Looks like Scanguard isn't what it makes itself out to be... here's a PC thread about it http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628976/suspect-scangaurd-security-suite/

Ensure you have your files backed-up. Hopefully you can delete the application but you may end up having to reinstall OSX, you can do that without wiping your data but there is always a risk.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
Thanks Buggyflayer, I am usually pretty cautious about this sort of thing, but got caught.
I tried uninstalling by dragging the program icon to Trash but nothing happened? I then decided to do a restore from Time Machine to the day before the install. This has worked just fine and I am back to the sort of speed I had before, oddly though the ScanGuard icon is still there in Launchpad.

Is there some other - possibly correct? - way to unistall?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.