Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeckyHirsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Do Apple have any intention of fixing the inability of Preview to correctly render high resolution or vectorised PDFs/images when zoomed out (appearing blurry) or is this a new "feature"? It really does hinder design work...

Last edited:
Reactions: kevo0822

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
I noticed this the other day when viewing a pdf of a bank statement. I assumed that my banking activities had been automatically "redacted" by Preview :0

Seriously, if you turn off “smooth text and line art” Preview will at least try to render the pdf as you zoom out.

—GetRealBro

BeckyHirsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
I noticed this the other day when viewing a pdf of a bank statement. I assumed that my banking activities had been automatically "redacted" by Preview :0

Seriously, if you turn off “smooth text and line art” Preview will at least try to render the pdf as you zoom out.

—GetRealBro

It certainly helps improve the rendering but it's still no where near pre-10.11 levels. Have reported it a few times but no fix as of yet unfortunately.

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
Do Apple have any intention of fixing the inability of Preview to correctly render high resolution or vectorised PDFs/images when zoomed out (appearing blurry) or is this a new "feature"? It really does hinder design work...

This is the most infuriating change from Yosemite for me... When you spend hours reading PDFs on a computer, maybe the WORST thing you could have is blurry font rendering. I've also submitted feedback on it multiple times... so hopefully a change comes soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.