Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
I have installed the 10.11 public beta 1 and 2 as a virtual machine in VMWare Fusion. However, it only allows me to choose a 1024x768 display resolution (under "Scaled"). Any thoughts on why this is so and how to solve this?

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
have you installed vmware tools in your VM? there's a menu item to install that.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
have you installed vmware tools in your VM? there's a menu item to install that.
Thanks for the tip, but I have already done that. It didn't change anything.

Another strange thing is that "Icon View" in the Finder, just shows a completely black area. The other 3 views works normally.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...Any thoughts on why this is so and how to solve this?

INSIDE THE VM

1. Disable rootless and enable the kernel extension developer mode:
sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0 kext-dev-mode=1"
(in a Terminal window)

2. Disable Gatekeeper:
http://osxdaily.com/2015/05/04/disable-gatekeeper-command-line-mac-osx/
...and restart your Mac!

Install VMsvga2 (VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.9.pkg) and disable all sleep functions in the System Preferences (inside the VM). Then restart the VM.

This is what i did regarding my 10.9.x, 10.10.x and 10.11.x VMs. VMsvga2 allows more resolutions than the standard OS X or VMware driver.

Reactions: Doc69

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
If you are not using the current VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2015 then this is easily explained: Fusion does not officially support OS X El Capitan nor Windows 10. They do run but there are issues. See community.vmware.com for more info about this and the download for the tech preview that does have official support for both operating systems.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
@Sandbox: Does this happen, if you select an older hardware version in the VMware Fusion preferences? I suspect that the older VMware Tools are not compatible with the newer (virtual) hardware.

Thanks, I'll look into this later tonight.

If you are not using the current VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2015 then this is easily explained: Fusion does not officially support OS X El Capitan nor Windows 10. They do run but there are issues. See community.vmware.com for more info about this and the download for the tech preview that does have official support for both operating systems.

I do have the Technology Preview of Fusion running on 10.11. Windows seems to run alright on it except for the resolution. The resolution was working properly at first until I updated Windows to the latest build.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Did you upgrade from a previous Fusion version to the tech preview? If so, how did you do the upgrade and did the Win10 vm already exist in the previous version?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Did you upgrade from a previous Fusion version to the tech preview? If so, how did you do the upgrade and did the Win10 vm already exist in the previous version?
No I did a fresh install of the tech preview on 10.11 after finding that the normal version, 7.1.2 IIRC didn't work.

The Windows VM was copied from my Yosemite/Fusion folder into the vm folder on 10.11. After firing up up Windows, on the tech preview of Fusion, everything seemed fine, including the resolution.

Then I used Windows Update to upgrade to the latest build and when it completed, that's when the low resolution began on Windows. I reinstalled vmware tools too and that had no effect.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
That might be the reason why it is not working. Officially you need to uninstall the VMware Tools, shutdown the vm and then proceed with upgrading Fusion. Usually not doing that works out fine but sometimes you get these strange issues with VMware Tools. Uninstalling Tools, rebooting and then reinstalling might work. There doesn't seem to be any topics about this issue on the tech preview forums at vmware.com. I'll see what happens with my Win10 vm.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
This is what i did regarding my 10.9.x, 10.10.x and 10.11.x VMs. VMsvga2 allows more resolutions than the standard OS X or VMware driver.

Thanks Mr. Retrofire! That made it much better. But there were no display drivers for my 1920x1200 Apple display. Only 1600x1200 or 1920x1440. And since I never run a VM in full screen mode, either of those two display resolutions will after a while scale themselves down a bit to show the whole desktop, which makes everything fuzzy. Only way to get 1:1 pixels is to run the VM at 1440x1050. Is there a way to force the VM resolution to stay on 1600x1200, scaled 1:1, for example, and not have it scale the window, even if one side is larger than the actual display size?

Also, the black area in the "Icon View" in the Finder is still there. But still much better! Thank you!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That might be the reason why it is not working. Officially you need to uninstall the VMware Tools, shutdown the vm and then proceed with upgrading Fusion. Usually not doing that works out fine but sometimes you get these strange issues with VMware Tools. Uninstalling Tools, rebooting and then reinstalling might work. There doesn't seem to be any topics about this issue on the tech preview forums at vmware.com. I'll see what happens with my Win10 vm.
That did the trick. Uninstalling vmware tools, shutting down the VM, starting it back up and reinstalling vmware tools.

Resolution is fixed.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.