10.11 Fixes 0-day?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by newmac2013, Jun 13, 2015.

1. newmac2013 macrumors newbie

newmac2013

In reference to this thread "vulnerability of non-brand-new Macs (wake from sleep exploit)"

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...and-new-macs-wake-from-sleep-exploit.1888852/

It looks like there is a 'bug' that allows EFI firmware to be overwritten when waking from sleep on macs older than 2014. From a comment on Ars:

Drivers (if you mean kernel extensions) are executed in kernel space, not user space. And this exploit requires a Kernel Extension, DirectHW.kext, to be installed.
    Just wanting to confirm, that with rootless in 10.11 that this hole will be fixed.

2. Rekan_ macrumors member

Rekan_

“It means that you can overwrite the contents of your BIOS from userland a rootkit EFI without any other tricks other than a suspend-resume cycle, a kernel extension, flashrom, and root access.

This is something I found on a website talking of this exploit. It clearly mentions having root access, maybe if rootless is enabled, this could work. I'm not to sure though.

3. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Lol. "Without any other tricks".... except getting root access and the ability to install a kext. o_O

4. newmac2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

newmac2013

Rootless prevents editing system files.... so the problem should be fixed

5. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Yep, i was just pointing out how crazy the wording is. Personally i'd be an awesome pianist if I had access to a piano, the required discipline and time to learn and the first clue about playing music. o_O

6. Populus macrumors 6502

Populus

Ok, so it's solved on El Capitan.

By the way, @newmac2013, your avatar is the new spinning ball icon on 10.11? I like it!