10.12.1 developer beta install issue

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Leinhart_6, Sep 21, 2016.

  1. Leinhart_6 macrumors regular

    Leinhart_6

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2015
    #1
    So I tried installing the new developer beta just now and during the install process the progress bar would not load. I stupidly decided to hard reset the machine. It booted up normally and now shows that I'm on the current beta, but I feel that it didn't install the update fully.

    Tried looking for the update again in the app store, but it now shows that it was fully installed =/ Not sure what I should do
     
  2. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2012
    #2
    Check the build number. 10.12.1 beta 1 should have build number 16B2327e.

    If not reinstall from mac app store, or otherwise if that doesn't work use the direct links available in apple's developer forums.

    Also, did you install the macOS Sierra Developer Beta Access Utility?

    That is a must before attempting any beta updates after public release.
     
  3. Leinhart_6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Leinhart_6

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2015
    #3
    It does show that build number. I was just worried, because I restarted when it was installing about 10 mins into the process. When it booted up it was displaying that I had the current version.

    The download process went fine enough from the store, I was just concerned that I turned it off too quickly =/
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    I don't believe I had the utility installed before I updated and found it in the app store. Would this not allow me to install new updates?
     

    Attached Files:

  4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

    benthewraith

    Joined:
    May 27, 2006
    Location:
    Miami, FL
    #4
    Usually by that point things are installed and OS X is just doing clean up/repair at that point.
     
  5. Leinhart_6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Leinhart_6

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2015
    #5
    Thank you so much! This is definitely a huge relief! Was freaking out there for a sec lol
     
  6. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2012
    #6
    Interrupting an install like this is fraught with danger.

    When you describe what you did I start thinking one should reinstall anyway, and it is unlikely you can do it via the mac app store directly now, even with the utility installed because it probably won't pick up that there are bits missing. (Remember that there are 3 components to this update, not just 1. There is the 10.12.1 update which will increase the build number - but also a firmware update and a full bundle update).

    There are 4 options now.

    1. Restore from the backup you made before attempting the update. (And PLEASE say you did this. I don't want to hear that you didn't). Here we are assuming this would be build 16A323. If not then update to that build first. Install the utility. Then update again to 10.12.1 build 16B2327e.

    2. Clean install build 16A323, install the utility and update to 10.12.1 build 16B2327e.

    3. Download the packages from apple's developer forums and install using the second method specified there, namely by running the packages individually from another partition carefully selecting the Sierra partition onto which they are to be installed. This will ensure that all the components (including some you may have missed by the interruption actually get installed)

    4. If your system is still workable you may prefer to wait for the second 10.12.1 beta, install this without interruption this time.
     
  7. Leinhart_6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Leinhart_6

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2015
    #7

    Thank you for taking the time to clarify this for me, it really means a lot.

    So far everything seems pretty stable, but I did make a backup through the time machine before I installed the new beta. I was considering doing this as well, but I haven't done a full clean install in quite awhile. I don't remember the process that well, but could look it up online.

    I may wait for the second beta considering it seems to be holding up pretty well for the moment, but that definitely opens my eyes a bit on the situation.
     
  8. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2012
    #8
    To be honest I don't really like the 4th option. The point of the beta is to provide feedback to apple. But you could very well have a compromised system now and so such feedback would be tainted.

    You may think you are reporting on a bug, but it may well have come about because of the corruption, not the system itself.
     
  9. Leinhart_6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Leinhart_6

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2015
    #9
    Good point, but I'm not really all for the bug reports honestly lol I'm more about the new features and stability
     
  10. Leinhart_6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Leinhart_6

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2015
    #10
    I may consider doing a clean install tomorrow because I haven't done one in quite awhile and it couldn't hurt anything.

    When in recovery mode, how can I select the build 16A323? I downloaded the package installer for it separately on my desktop. When I try recovery mode it just shows Sierra 10.12. Would I have to save it to my external hard drive and flash it from there?

    I'd preferably want to install it on my main hard drive.
     
  11. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2012
    #11
    Well a bootable usb would be more efficient than recovery mode because if you already have the installer there would be no need to download it again.

    A bootable usb has the system already on it whereas recovery mode would require a redownload even if you have the installer already.

    Here is my thread on making a bootable usb for sierra: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ler-for-sierra-gm-and-public-release.1992501/

    And macrumors have a new article on clean install for sierra: http://www.macrumors.com/how-to/macos-sierra-clean-install/
     
  12. Leinhart_6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Leinhart_6

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2015
    #12
    Thanks again for all of your help!:) I will try this sometime tmrw
     
  13. Leinhart_6 thread starter macrumors regular

    Leinhart_6

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2015
    #13
    I was able to make a bootable usb and revert back to the developer preview and install up to beta 1! I also restored my computer with the backup I had made and everything seems to be just fine now.

    Wanted to give you and update and let you know that I really appreciated the help with it! :)
     
  14. grahamperrin macrumors 601

    grahamperrin

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #14

Share This Page