10.12.3 Update Increased UI Lage (13" tMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sn0warmy, Jan 26, 2017.

1. sn0warmy, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

UPDATE: Changing the touch bar settings under System Preferences > Keyboard to "Expanded Control Strip" and preventing it from changing for individual app controls seems to have eliminated the UI lag.

I was really hoping that software updates would increase UI smoothness on this machine. However, the latest update seems to have made it worse. When switching between spaces and apps, my 13" tMBP seems to lag significantly more than it did previously.

In addition, as time has progressed, I'm really starting to believe that the main cause for UI lag is actually the touch bar. When I'm changing processes that don't wake/change the items on the touch bar, everything is perfectly fluid. The lag only seems to hit as soon as I move to a new space or app that changes the items on the touch bar (like switching between Spark email to Safari).

Also, when I use the laptop in clamshell mode, attached to an external monitor keyboard and track pad, there is no lag when doing the same tasks. Which makes sense because the touch bar is disabled in this configuration. Now I'm wishing there was a way to force the touch bar to always display the basic functions (screen brightness buttons, keyboard brightness buttons, audio buttons, mission control etc.) At least until Apple figures out how to prevent the nav bar display changes from slowing the whole computer down.

[rant]
    The non-touchbar is looking better and better at this point. It's too bad my return period is up. Those of us who bought the touch version seem to be beta testers for Apple, which is extremely annoying considering the price point.[/rant]

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Interesting theory. I don't have much lag trouble, but I'd like to see others who do test your theory.

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Strange, I have not noticed this.

Do you mean .2? .3 is still in beta.

4. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Not having any of the issues you describe, and the 15" even has a weaker iGPU which should theoretically cause more lag.

Probably a driver issue, that we can only hope Apple is working on.

5. yogeewan macrumors regular

well you can customise your touch bar to just show the basic functions (extended control strip) in system preferences -> keyboard

but my machine seems lag free as well, seems to respond quite smoothly.

6. Jaekae macrumors 6502

There is UI lag on all 15" i tried at different stores, and on mine. Think some ppl just doesnt notice it because its minor lag

Mine is most noticable on mission control and if go to launchpad and to others and then open console app, the launch off that app when opening that way is laggy :)

7. sn0warmy, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

10.12.3 is the latest release that came out 3 days ago...

http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/23/apple-releases-macos-sierra-10-12-3/

I'm not enrolled into the beta program and I have 10.12.3 installed:

[​IMG]

WOW! Thanks for the heads up. I'm embarrassed to admit that I had no idea I could make this simple change in System preferences. I just changed the touch bar settings to only show the extended control strip and not change for app controls. I'm going to test this for a while and see if the lag goes away.

According to others posting in this thread, I'm the only one. o_O But I'll report back after making the above touch bar change, to see if my lag goes away.

8. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

It's only been a few hours but changing the touch bar settings under System Preferences > Keyboard to "Expanded Control Strip" and preventing it from changing for individual app controls seems to have eliminated the UI lag. I'm really starting to believe the touch bar truly is the culprit for UI lag that some of us have been fighting against.

9. eriksatie macrumors newbie

I can confirm the noticeable lag in starting mission control, I have a MacBook Pro 13'' tMBP. I've also changed the touch bar settings to "Expanded Control Strip" and it seems a bit better (not perfect), but I will confirm it after a bit more of use. really discouraging though. I bought it a few days ago and I really like it, but the UI is not smooth as it should for a computer of this price range.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

One way to gain a few frames is to disable transparency in system preferences. I think it looks better, too. Although I agree, the problem should be there in the first place for a laptop like this (not that I am seeing issues).

11. eriksatie macrumors newbie

So could be a problem with just some laptops? what MacBook Pro you have? Ram? I've written to the Apple Store where I've bought it, I stille have 10 days of returning period and I waiting for some support, I will let you know.

BTW I'm not convinced that the touch bar trick solve the issue, I still see it and it get worst with a few apps opened. Let's test it a bit more

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I have a 13" w/ 8 GB. I think it's more likely you're just really sensitive to lag. Do you see it with a few windows on the screen? Expose will lag on any machine with enough windows.

Maybe go to the Apple Store where you bought it and see if you can replicate the issue on the other machines.

13. eriksatie macrumors newbie

Yes probably I am : )

No it doesn't lag with few windows. How much is exactly "enough windows"? Is it related to the amount of Ram available or just the number of windows?

My old MacBook Pro from 2008 seems to lag less then this new one (that is better in any other aspect)

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Right now I have 30 windows open across 19 apps and don't notice any lag invoking exposé. When do you notice the problems?

I don't see why RAM should matter unless you have a lot of apps open and performance is taking a hit anyway. What matters is video memory.

2008 MBPs weren't retina, so that helps a lot with performance. Less pixels to push.

15. eriksatie macrumors newbie

right, this is true, way less pixel

Now I have 16 windows in one space, and another one full screen in a secondo space (Photos), across 14 application: Safari with 4 tab, mail, things, safari, Photos, Spotify, iStat, Preference, Notes, Goofy, Messages, calendar, keynote, activity monitor. Mission control lags and also sliding between spaces. Maybe I'm sensitive, but I think that everyone would notice the lag.

Now I'm a bit concerned about this not because of the lag (BTW, I don't use mission control too much, I usually change app with command tab), but I'm going to buy the Ultrafine 5K and I can only think that it will be worse then now.

I attach Activity monitor screenshot as a reference

Attached Files:

16. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Still not seeing any lag with spaces.

I have a 4K display and I do notice a little lag, but nothing major.