10.13.2 Supplemental Update Install Fails!

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by joec1101, Jan 10, 2018.

1. joec1101 macrumors 6502a

Tried everything I can think of - ran Disk Utility First Aid in Recovery Mode, tried installing via Safe Mode, tried installing from Terminal, etc.

Nothing seems to work - this update just will not install. It acts like it does, but after reboot, the same versions of MacOS and Safari are still there and the Supp Update doesn't appear in Installed Updates and *sometimes* reappears when checking for new updates.

Frustrating, to say the least...

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I had this, neither of my 2011 machines would download the full update pkg files. This worked for me:

1. Download the update from the MAS, <don't> restart
    2. Look in the numbered folder in Library/Updates (in mine it was called 091-58876), I found only 4 pkg files in there, not all 6 listed here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...with-spectre-fix.2099811/page-6#post-25686044
    3. Download any missing from the links in the above post and place the pkg files in the same numbered folder as in (2)
    4. Restart

The update progress bar then appeared and the full update applied with no problems in about 20mins.

3. joec1101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried that a few minutes ago as well - no luck...

Nothing at all works. Every Apple system update that comes out now fails on me. I have to wait for the full version to be posted on the App Store and download that AND create a bootable installer USB and then install over everything. That's pretty much the only way I've been able to get any of Apple's sys updates to take.

And this is on a brand new 15" MBP i7/512/16 machine

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Did you try what I suggested?

5. joec1101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, absolutely - followed your instructions exactly and it still failed

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ugh sorry that didn't work - did you have any pkg files missing from the Updates folder?

7. joec1101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, exactly as you described - there were only 4 files, 2 missing and I retrieved them from the link you gave and placed them in the folder before trying the update.

This one is really having me scratch my head.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Well my trick didn't work on my other 2011 iMac, but it still wasn't showing the update available on the MAS to download so.... I downloaded the update from the Apple download page and that did install...go figure...???

9. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

So, what's your OS version and build number now?

10. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

Like I suggested in my Post #3 above?

I installed my Supplemental Update from that link. Build No. is the same as the AppStore 17C205.

Lou

11. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

I want to confirm OP's OS build number just in case his misunderstood the difference between version number and build number.

Because he mentioned "the same versions of MacOS" after update. In fact, the version won't change, still 10.13.2, but only the build number will change after this update.

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

10.13.2 and 17C205
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    The update wasn't on the Apple download page when I first had the problem, hence working out what was wrong and trying to resolve it. There was lots of discussion about failed updates on the main thread.

13. joec1101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The download package still doesn't work on mine

Still at:

macOS 10.13.2 (17C88)
    Safari Version 11.0.2 (13604.4.7.1.3)

14. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

^^^^What happens when you try to install the package. I was surprised at how fast the installation was. Less than 15 minutes.

Lou

15. joec1101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It acts like it’s installing, but it’s not there upon restart - still keeps the old version of macOS and safari.

Then it sometimes reappears in App Store available updates, just as if it’s never been downloaded and installed.

Apple’s system update process is crappy at best; this isn’t the first update that’s failed like this on me. It’s happened several times with previous updates as well.

When a new public release comes out, it typically fails for me and the only work around I’ve gotten to work is to download the full installer AND create a bootable USB thumb drive with it, then restart using the option key and select the install disk and install over the previous OS.

Really frustrating, to say the least. This has been going on for the last three MacBook Pros that I’ve had. And all of them are spec’d out with the then maximum available RAM, SSD & processor speed. $3k laptops, basically.

16. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

That sounds strange to me. Of course I trust you really have the issue. And it sounds like you tried everything already. If only one of the Mac, may be just an isolated issue. But all 3 of your Mac have the problem then must be something wrong.

I use my current Mac since 2009. My feeling is that MacOS is definitely getting worse and worse in stability and reliability. But I didn’t experience a single OS update failure yet (I spend about 2-3 years with the Beta OS as well, so, really lots of updates have been done).

May I know if you tried something like PRAM reset, or disable SIP? Even these kind of actions seems totally unrelated to a normal OS update. But since your update is not “normal” anymore, may be worth to have a try.

TBH, if all 3 of your Mac have the same problem. I suspect may be it’s your profile related.

E.g. Something corrupted in your profile. When you bought a new Mac, you use time machine to “recovery” your profiles to the new one. Therefore, the same problem also transfers to the new Mac.

However, this theory only possible if you use your backup to setup the new Mac. If the new Macs are with the new profile / setup as a new Mac / simply sign in the existing Apple ID, the fault should not follow.

17. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

Is there a message that installation is complete and requests a restart? And, how many HDDs os SSDs in your system?

Lou

18. joec1101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have tried disabling SIP, reset PRAM/NVRAM, SMC. Also created a new user ID and that didn’t work either.

I do get a “restart” message when installing through MAS, and it restarts but then fails.

Only one SSD - it’s a 2017 MBP i7/16/512 (Apple factory SSD)

I think at this point I’ll skip this update and wait for the next pub release and reinstall using that full install pkg.

19. joec1101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, just for the F... of it, I tried Terminal again today and used "sudo softwareupdate -ia" command, and it actually installed! I tried Terminal before, but I can't remember if I used the sudo command (probably not). At any rate, it's fixed! :)

20. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

is not worth updating.

21. pawel_z_wrocka macrumors newbie

pawel_z_wrocka

Any detailed instructions? I am having the same problem on two MB Pros. I tried:
    - updating via App Store;
    - updating via installer;
    - updating via Terminal;
    - adding the missing files as instructed here.

Nothing seems to work. Maybe I am missing something?

22. AlaskaMoose, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018

AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

I am having the same problem after trying numerous ways to install the supplemental updates.
    OS-X on my early 13: 2011 MacBook Pro at the moment is: macOS 10.13.3 (17D47)

It goes through all the steps to install, including a "restart" and several minutes of installation. I get the "supplemental updates didn't install automatically" note at the right of the screen a couple of times a week. When the installation "supposedly takes place," and then the note appears at the right top corner of the screen, I go to the Apple Store to look for the updates, but no updates are available.

Perhaps it is not worth updating anymore.