10.13.4 Screen flicker after coming out of sleep

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by lockerc18, Apr 2, 2018.

1. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

Having a problem after installing 10.13.4. When the system comes out of sleep, the display will often (but not always) flicker pretty rapidly in a seemingly random pattern. It won't stop until I close the lid and let it sit for a while, and then reopen it. This is on a 2017 MBP. I've never had this problem before. Without specific evidence, I think this a problem with the .4 update, and is not a hardware issue.

Anyone else see this problem?

2. skelmi macrumors newbie

Same issue, had to restart and haven't been able to repeat the flickering. Maybe a problem with the integrated display driver? Also noticed full-screen videos in safari flickering when using volume controls etc.

3. LogiLink macrumors member

LogiLink

4. Trio2 macrumors newbie

5. lockerc18 thread starter macrumors 6502

It happened again just now. So, I closed Firefox, and it stopped. No clue if there's a bug in FF someplace, but that seems to have stopped the flickering, at least for now.

6. lockerc18 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it just happened again, and FF was not active. So, it's not FF. I still don't think it's a hardware bug, either. I am convinced that it's a bug in the new release of 10.13.4. Stinks.

7. lockerc18 thread starter macrumors 6502

Another data point... it just happened AGAIN. I found that it will stop if I move the cursor around. But when I release the cursor, it starts up again. I can close FF (and Safari) and that doesn't have an effect. Move the cursor, and as long as I move that, it does. I might need to contact the Genius bar about this one.

8. lockerc18 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I think this might be the last post on this. I reset the PRAM and that seems to have fixed this. I don't know what the specifics are of what's kept in PRAM, but evidently something in that munged up the display when waking up. I haven't seen this issue for a while now.