10.13- Is the MBP 2010 done for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iModFrenzy, May 26, 2017.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I got a MacBook Pro 13" mid-2010 a few months ago and I absolutely love the machine. I've had few issues but great machine. I knew what buying it meant(support going away) so I made this thread to ask what you think.

Do you think 10.13 is it for the MBP 2010?

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I fear if not this update, then the next update that Apple will unsupport any Mac that doesn't support Metal. There is quite the noticeable difference in macOS when using a computer that lacks Metal support and one that is Metal supported (compared between my late 11 13in MBP and my mid 2012 15in non-retina MBP). If that's the case, then anything older than 2012 will be unsupported in the MBP department. All the classic plastic MBs would be dropped. The iMacs prior to 2012 would all be dropped. There would only be support for the 2012 and 2014 Mac Minis. All MBAs older than 2012 would also be dropped. So essentially, any Mac older than 2012 will be dropped.

3. Resist macrumors 68030

This is sad news to me. I have a Mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro (my first Mac), and have been thinking about upgrading the HD to an SSD, adding RAM 8GB to 16GB and replacing the battery. I use the optical drive for Redbox movies all the time and like having it built into the computer. I really have no interest in buying a new MacBook, just don't like the changes Apple has done to them. But it sounds like I may be forced to soon.

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

I do not think the 2010 will see official support with 10.13, but I do not think that means it is done for because: 1) Installing Sierra on unsupported Macs is doable and some people have had it work well, 2) Even if you are stuck at Sierra, it isn't like Apple will stop supporting it the moment its replacement comes out - I still use El Capitan on all my machines except one, and will probably continue to use it until El Cap reaches the age point where Mavericks/Yosemite is today, where most new software runs fine on it with several exceptions.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Why do people worry about such things?
    If the old MBPro still runs (I have a 2010 MBPro 13" myself, it still runs fine, and I still use 10.6.8!), why not just keep using it?
    Why do folks think that if an older Mac no longer runs the "latest and greatest" iteration of the OS, that it's done for…?

6. jerryk macrumors 68040

No new features and no new patches.

7. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

My 2010 15", running Sierra, works great! It's a solid machine, and regardless of what Apple comes out with next week or month or year, I'm going to continue to use it. And nobody's going to tell me any different! It's my machine; i'll do what I want with it.