Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
(assuming you wouldn't (and why would you?) format the swap as a journalling file system.)

added on the missing parenthesis there. sorry about that confusion. yeah, i knew that would be dumb to partition your swap as JFS, but i had no idea that linux used a special swap partition format. that's totally awesome. too bad OS X doesn't have that yet.. but i guess you could make a little 500 MB-1 GB partition and format it as a normal FS and tell OS X to put its swap there?

i have windows XP, and it crashes when i try to entirely move the swap to my second drive. i can set aside space on my second drive for virtual memory," but i still have to have a swap file on the C:\ drive. it really annoys me; it rather helped to use my second drive as the scratch disk for photoshop. the idea of having an entirely separate partition (or disk, that would really rock) for swap is really cool. almost as cool as the idea of having 2 GB of RAM and never needing to use the swap. lol.

tychay

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Re: How am I supposed to format 10.2.2 JFS

Originally posted by markiv810
After upgrading to 10.2.2, how do I change file format then. I have 10.2.2 beta I cannot do the change to JFS without erasing and re-installing. I need some suggetions on that, as I would like to have JFS.

I said that Apple could make Elvis so that the upgrade can be done without repartitioning, not that Apple actually did that. If the rumors of the BFS's Giampaolo working on it are true, it implies that Elvis is a more radical change to the filesystem than a ext3-like hack--too radical for a seemless update.

Also consider that the introduction of the XServe may manipulate some Apple design considerations around enterprise (XServe RAID?) needs instead of individual ones.

By the way, If you are working with 10.2.2 beta, you're under an NDA ;), so any suggestions will have to wait for the release. I'd check out MacOS X hints on that day.

tychay

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by Shadowfax

i guess you could make a little 500 MB-1 GB partition and format it as a normal FS and tell OS X to put its swap there?

Yes, you can do this right now, in an earlier post I linked an article that explains how to do this. The only caveat is that if you update to Jaguar, you have to restore this partition.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
just finished reading through it. i hope that the new PB i get comes with an OS 9 disk so i can partition out a 500 MB... that sounds like such a cool idea. i remember striping my swaps on RH lol. what fun. stupid XP...:(

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax
just finished reading through it. i hope that the new PB i get comes with an OS 9 disk so i can partition out a 500 MB... that sounds like such a cool idea. i remember striping my swaps on RH lol. what fun. stupid XP...:(

If you don't mind reinstalling the OS in the beginning you don't need to have OS 9... and really I don't remember being able to do RE-partitioning in 9 either. Just use the Disk Utility to partition your drive... I'm sure there is one on the 10.2 installer disk.

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
Journaling for Laptops ;-p

From what I've read recently one of the biggest advantages of a journaling FS is for laptops.

Apparently some people don't pay attention to the warnings or like to hotswap their batteries very slowly and end up corrupting their drive. With a JFS you can gracefully recover from these mishaps and according to all the info it is only a potential for %10 performance hit on disk speed I/O.

Allsorts

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2002
Germany
Re: How am I supposed to format 10.2.2 JFS

Originally posted by markiv810
After upgrading to 10.2.2, how do I change file format then. I have 10.2.2 beta I cannot do the change to JFS without erasing and re-installing. I need some suggetions on that, as I would like to have JFS.

Well, if you have 10.2.2 you should be under an NDA...

Anyway, there was a screenshot of the new Disk Utility showing the JFS option going round. So I'd guess that either Disk Utility has an option to enable journaling on a HFS+ disk, or you could try it's command line companion "diskutil".

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Re: Journaling for Laptops ;-p

Originally posted by foniks2020
With a JFS you can gracefully recover from these mishaps and according to all the info it is only a potential for %10 performance hit on disk speed I/O.

Since journaling only really kicks in when you WRITE something to the disk.. I think (dunno for sure) that the 'speed hit' (if any) would only happen when you were writing something to the disk... Since that's when the jorunal would need to be updated.

I think too many people are taking that 10% figure as gospel... For most of us I'd be shocked if you even notice it.

Not that it matters cause from what I hear it'll be 'in' 10.2.2 but you'll need to use the command line to turn it on (it'll be off by default) and only 10.2.2 Server will have a 'gui' (ala Disk Utility - server version) option to turn it on or off.

As far as 'best for laptops' heh... it's quite clear you don't have to support the same kind of people I do... (700+ Macs where I work) Trust me when I say this... Jorunaling WILL BE GOOD for me... VERY VERY GOOD! :D

Dave

Mirage_

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2002
I've been using 10.2.2 (build 6F6) for a few weeks, and it fixed my disc copy/superdrive trouble ;) Hopefully apple will release the final this week!

And yeah, QE=Bigger speed increase if you've got the hardware. I've got my old Rage 128, and my Radeon 9000 in my G4, and you can defintely tell the difference between the monitor that is running on the Radeon vs the Rage 128 :) QE is good.

tychay

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
San Francisco, CA
My bad...

Originally posted by foniks2020

I don't remember being able to do RE-partitioning in 9 either.

My bad, I meant that you may have to reedit some of your config files that may have been overwritten by Jaguar. This is true for nearly all changes to /System and /etc that you do. I read that the process involves editing /etc/rc and /etc/fstab. I'd be suprised if a Jaguar upgrade doesn't rewrite the former (or if it does rewrite the latter).

The "need OS9 to move swap" myth probably came about when old versions of Disk Utility had problem creating smaller partions.

BTW, I may be all wrong, I don't keep swap in a separate partition (yet). If I were to do this on my notebook, this is what I'd do:
  1. Connect your notebook to your desktop by firewire.
  2. Hold down a T key when starting up your notebook to mount it as a HD on yoru desktop.
  3. Use Carbon Copy Cloner (or similar) to clone your notebook HD to another HD.
  4. Repartition your HD with Disk Utility locating the swap partition at the front of the disk.
  5. Clone your HD back.
  6. Edit the /etc/fstab and /etc/rc.
  7. Check to see these files haven't been overwritten after every OS update.
    [/list=1]

Take care,

terry

dramazon

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2002
HP incompatiblity fix?

I hope that this upgrade solves the problems with 10.2 not working with HP laserjet 4 and 5.

nixd2001

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2002
UK
Re: Re: Journaling for Laptops ;-p

Originally posted by DaveGee

I think too many people are taking that 10% figure as gospel... For most of us I'd be shocked if you even notice it.

Sounds very sensible. I'm sure it's not going to be as simple as everything is 10% slower. Maybe something like each file chunk written requires an additional journal write? If so, then the %age overhead is very dependent upon the chunks being written. Etc.

tychay

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Re: HP incompatiblity fix?

Originally posted by dramazon
I hope that this upgrade solves the problems with 10.2 not working with HP laserjet 4 and 5.

HP seems to think that this support is already built into Mac OS X 10.2.

If that doesn't work why not try a HPIJS built for Mac OS X from CUPS, ESP Ghostscript and foomatic.

I can't comment more since I haven't had access to an HP 4 or 5 series LP since 1999.

Take care,

terry

tychay

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Re: speed and journalling

Originally posted by tychay
I've seen all the errors below committed in various discussions of "Elvis":

On rereading my post, I realize the biggest myth spread was the one on the original article which was:

• Journalling keeps a snapshot of the system allowing administrators to see a history of file updates. False: Journalling logs the disk operation action as meta data (note to mac users, this is different from file meta data such as type/creator). It would be silly to write the entire data to disk twice! After the write transaction is complete, the meta data is removed from the jounal. This also means that journalling is not 100% foolproof, but it does mean that on a crash it is still easy to return the file system to a "sane" state (just check the journal).

Sometimes I wonder what people are smoking...

dramazon

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2002
Re: Re: HP incompatiblity fix?

Originally posted by tychay

HP seems to think that this support is already built into Mac OS X 10.2.

If that doesn't work why not try a HPIJS built for Mac OS X from CUPS, ESP Ghostscript and foomatic.

I can't comment more since I haven't had access to an HP 4 or 5 series LP since 1999.

Take care,

terry

Apple admits that 10.2 has developed a problem with some HP printers, and has provided links to a patch, but it doesn't seem to work for me. the info from apple

MacBandit

macrumors 604
10.2.2 tomorrow?

http://www.apple-x.net/modules.php?...le=article&sid=84&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

According to this article on AppleXnews. It is known that there will be an Apple press release event tomorrow. This has been commonly accepted to be the release time for the Powerbooks/iBooks. They could use this event to release 10.2.2 also and make a big deal out of it. This would make a lot of sense because Jaguar is dropping out of press and advertising and it's time to get it back into the limelight if even for a moment.

JonaGold

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2002
Amsterdam
Nvidea drivers

I hope that the dvd playback quality of my geforce 2mx will be improved with a new driver.... it really sucks right now

10.2.2 Radeon upgrade

I was having stuttering, start/stop, momentary pauses on a 60 cycle pattern, using monitor spanning with Quartz and the 16MB Radeon card in a Ti-Book. [This occured in Screen savers, iTunes visuals,but not DVD or QT playback]

After loading the Radeon upgrade that came from a developer's seed of 10.2.2 the entire stutter thing has vanished.

It seems obviously connected to the two monitors 'splitting' the 16MB, which only allotted 8MB to each, violating the 16MB minimum for Quartz usage. Somehow they have papered over that 'glitch'... Still wish i could upgrade to 32 or 64, but i'll take the 'patch'. Thanks Apple

pelby

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
So when's 10.2.2 gonna show?

Anyone know when 10.2.2 is finally going to make an appearance?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.