Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
We have just updated 4 machines on an AppleCentre floor in Australia. Now 3 of them work with a mouse!

We used the downloaded 10.2.6 NON COMBO updator.

Mice on our PowerMac, eMac, iMac 17" will no longer function AT ALL.

Has anyone else seen this issue???

??????

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: 10.2.6 - Apple's Mouse Trap

Originally posted by digitalrampage
We have just updated 4 machines on an AppleCentre floor in Australia. Now 3 of them work with a mouse!

We used the downloaded 10.2.6 NON COMBO updator.

Mice on our PowerMac, eMac, iMac 17" will no longer function AT ALL.

Has anyone else seen this issue???

??????

I guarantee that repairing the disk permissions will fix this. I've had a similar problem off and on.

Also I would be willing to bet you aren't using the Apple mouse. Also unplugging and plugging the mouse back in (often this take mutiple times or change the port they are plugged into) often gets them working.

If none of that works then do an archive installation of OSX from the original disks choosing the copy setting option. Then perform all the udpates. You will have to restart and run the updater again maybe more then once.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
We have just gone back using a WACOM tablet and re-installed using the COMBO updator, this fixed it

Unplugging and plugging didn't make a difference

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
yeah, this seems a tad weird, but follow up one what MD said and it will fix it

And I'm from sydney too, wondering what store it is

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Originally posted by mac15
yeah, this seems a tad weird, but follow up one what MD said and it will fix it

And I'm from sydney too, wondering what store it is

Not from Sydney but also interested in which store.

h'biki

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by digitalrampage
We have just gone back using a WACOM tablet and re-installed using the COMBO updator, this fixed it

Unplugging and plugging didn't make a difference

i always combo update now. much less **** is likely to go wrong :)

s.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by h'biki
i always combo update now. much less **** is likely to go wrong :)

s.

I'm glad that someone is listening to my preaching. I believe the combo updater works better for one simple reason. After extended use permission files for some reason get all screwed up. I know most of us know about this now and repair them fairly frequently. Well what if the permissions for some files that the installer wants to replace are messed up? I think the installer assumes they were replaced when in fact they weren't. This is what causes all the errors people see after just doing a normal update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.