Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by maclov
Continued working for the next 10-15 minutes, when I suddenly lost my cursor. I have an Apple optical mouse connected through one of the USB ports. Tried the track pad, same result. The cursor just disappeared.

Forced a reboot. The cursor returned and has been there since (20-25 minutes). Possibly unrelated to the install.

No other issues.
I have experienced that disappearing cursor problem at my office, but I never seem to be able to replicate it. It just happens, out of the blue, once in the while. Any idea? (At my office we run Dual G4 in multiple screen configs with the help of Radeon7000PCI cards)

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Killed my iMac G4

I had to do a fresh install of OS X (due to some service repairs that needed to be done last week) so when I went on tonight and found that the new 10.2.8 was out, I installed it right away. Bad move. It killed my iMac. The machine would simply not boot. It would get to the boot screen and just die on "waiting for Directory Services." So I had to reinstall 10.2 yet again.

The ironic thing is that the first 10.2.8 (i.e., the "broken" one) worked fine when I installed it.

Apple botched it again. This blows.

NuMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2003
Eastern Washington
10.2.8 update

Installed the 10.2.8 after going back to 10.2.6 and it is great. Everything works fine. My time went from 1.52 hrs to 4.19 immediately upon restart. Repaired permissions before and after updating, and all is stable and fine.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: Killed my iMac G4

Originally posted by inkswamp
I had to do a fresh install of OS X (due to some service repairs that needed to be done last week) so when I went on tonight and found that the new 10.2.8 was out, I installed it right away. Bad move. It killed my iMac. The machine would simply not boot. It would get to the boot screen and just die on "waiting for Directory Services." So I had to reinstall 10.2 yet again.

The ironic thing is that the first 10.2.8 (i.e., the "broken" one) worked fine when I installed it.

Apple botched it again. This blows.
Wow you are the first person to experience a nightmare with this one. Like someone else said, Apple should force permissions to be repaired before and after applying an update. Until then, people should try and do it themselves (I know it's no consolation but that's the only thing I could come up with...)

iBot

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
10.2.8 and Fallout

10.2.8 has made my Fallout RPG unplayable on my ibook 600mhz. The cursor is now jerky and unresponsive and the animation is unacceptably choppy. Under 10.2.6, the game worked perfectly. I'm guessing Fallout 2 is also incompatible with this problematic OS update.

Anyone know how to uninstall 10.2.8? Anyone else having trouble with games?

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Re: Re: Killed my iMac G4

Originally posted by NicoMan
Like someone else said, Apple should force permissions to be repaired before and after applying an update. Until then, people should try and do it themselves (I know it's no consolation but that's the only thing I could come up with...)

I didn't want to make a massive post out of it, but yes, I did repair permissions and disk repair (from the installer disk) and ran fsck in single-user mode. Neither helped.

I'm going to try the update again tomorrow, but at this point it looks like Apple addressed some issues and left others alone. :(

daddy-mojo

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
L.A.
gave myself a scare

I normally always wait at least a day or so before running any OS update in an effort to avoid what happened with the "evil" 10.2.8 update. So, today, after reading a lot of posts felt pretty good about running this update on my 17" 1ghz iMac. I keep my system pretty pure. No haxies. Repair permission regulary. Just ran Disk Warrior a few days ago etc. I take care of my system and very rarely have problems. I believe in preventative maintenace. Anyways, repaired permissions before beginning. I installed the update through the software update and it downloaded and installed pretty quickly. Half way through it seemed to pause for a bit, then shoot right to the end. Then during the optimizing part I think my screen saver tried to kick in or something, but my display went dark, not off, but as if the screen saver was about to run but didn't. But it wouldn't kick my screen back on. Nothing, no mouse, keyboard etc. So I had to force shutdown the system. It now took well over 2 minutes to boot, almost twice the time as normal. Also, it switched my color depth to thousands. And it doesn't seem any zippier, seems clunkier actually. Disk first aid is repairing a huge amount of permissions. I just downloaded the combo updater and will do it all again. I never installed the previous 10.2.8 update. Will report back shortly.

:confused:

daddy-mojo

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
L.A.
much better

wow what a difference a combo updater makes. boot time just under a minute. everything seems to be responding like it should. Repairing permissions again, not as many so far. Only odd thing so far was my bluetooth menu bar icon showed up on the far right side after the clock.

:rolleyes:

ggrund

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002

Is this also an update for the new G5. I know that somebody has posted a link to the update but its not showing on the software update. Would Apple not make it available on the Software update if it would also be for the G5?

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
i wanted to update my ibook 800. but when i turned the ibook on and started up 10.2.6 the screen did not work (it looks like it hangs at the lowest brightness, the machine seems to work just fine tough).
it looks like may ibook screen died before i could install 10.2.8 :(
i had screen problems with my old pb ti 400, too. i'm getting sick of it.
anybody with ibook screen problems (it seems to be a hardware failure and has nothing to do with the os update)?
.a

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Oh no the high pitched noises have returned.. I updated my G5 to 10.2.8(G5) and I thought the noises had disappeared but no.. So back to CHUD and NAPping, that solved it. :(

maclov

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by NicoMan
I have experienced that disappearing cursor problem at my office, but I never seem to be able to replicate it. It just happens, out of the blue, once in the while. Any idea? (At my office we run Dual G4 in multiple screen configs with the help of Radeon7000PCI cards)

After that first incident of the disappearing cursor I've not had it recur, leading me to believe that the timing was coincidental and probably had nothing to do with the install.

JJTiger1

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
North America
10.2.8 FOR THE NEW G5'S WITH OS 10.2.7

Originally posted by ggrund
Is this also an update for the new G5. I know that somebody has posted a link to the update but its not showing on the software update. Would Apple not make it available on the Software update if it would also be for the G5?

Have you gone to Apple?
http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120248

Mac OS X Update (G5) v.102.8 (G5) : Information and Download

Download Requirements
Operating System
Mac OS X 10.2.7 (G5)
=-=
JJ

bt9

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2003
This update rocks!

My battery life went from 2 hours max, to around 4 1\2!!

I spent 4 hours on Cubase with reduced processor on, and low brightness, but Cubase had 14 audio tracks. And i used Reason a bit too, and The laptop is till going!

I could probably squeeze out 5 hours if i was just using word.

(12" PB old model)

Teronke

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2003
Originally posted by sopheapsem
This new build of 10.28 did NOT fix a couple of problems from the initial release.

1) Running a gestalt 'pclk' on my tibook 1GHZ will incorrectly report the machine as a 667MHZ. Running XBench from within 10.28 will also report the machine as 667MHZ clock speed, and going to the XBench forums, there are several users reporting incorrect clock speeds after updating to 10.28. May be only related to specific machines, but...

2) After waking my powerbook from sleep, my Apple Studio Monitor, which is hooked up to my Tibook as an external monitor, forgets its resolution settings and I need to select Detect Displays to get the proper resolution again. This seems to be a fairly common problem--I can't understand why Apple didn't address this one. Also, probably only related to specific machines.

I was wondering if you had checked the Apple System Profiler to see what clock speed it is reporting????

Do you know if it's a software reporting error or have you noticed a real world drop in speed??

Still reading through all the posts before deliberating on whether to go through with the upgrade. Got burnt badly last time. Was only able to downgrade with a clean install

rizzo242

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2003
Portland, ME
clock speed thing

Originally posted by Teronke
I was wondering if you had checked the Apple System Profiler to see what clock speed it is reporting????

Do you know if it's a software reporting error or have you noticed a real world drop in speed??

Still reading through all the posts before deliberating on whether to go through with the upgrade. Got burnt badly last time. Was only able to downgrade with a clean install

I ran XBench on my 1 GHz TiBook running 10.2.6 and got an 82.53 score, reporting "Power PC G4 @ 1 GHz" for processor.

Then I installed the new 10.2.8 update (I waited) and immediately ran XBench again, and got an 80.66 score, reporting "PowerPC G4 @ 667 MHz" for processor.

After this, I ran Apple System Profiler, which states machine speed to be 1.0 GHz.

Looks like the update tricked XBench, but it also looks like everything scored a tiny bit lower across the board now that I've installed 10.2.8, even though some things like window draws do *seem* a bit faster.

I have to say I'm concerned about this magical battery life extension that seems to be going around. Since I got this TiBook, I'd get a pretty consistent 2:45 fully charged, but after updating to 10.2.8, it spiked out at 5:40, spent some time in the 4-hour range, and at the moment seems to be jumping around between 1:50 and 3:10 (because I'm using it). Is this just a clever trick, or is it using more advanced CPU throttling techniques or something?

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Re: clock speed thing

Originally posted by rizzo242
I ran XBench on my 1 GHz TiBook running 10.2.6 and got an 82.53 score, reporting "Power PC G4 @ 1 GHz" for processor.

Then I installed the new 10.2.8 update (I waited) and immediately ran XBench again, and got an 80.66 score, reporting "PowerPC G4 @ 667 MHz" for processor.

After this, I ran Apple System Profiler, which states machine speed to be 1.0 GHz.

Looks like the update tricked XBench, but it also looks like everything scored a tiny bit lower across the board now that I've installed 10.2.8, even though some things like window draws do *seem* a bit faster.

I have to say I'm concerned about this magical battery life extension that seems to be going around. Since I got this TiBook, I'd get a pretty consistent 2:45 fully charged, but after updating to 10.2.8, it spiked out at 5:40, spent some time in the 4-hour range, and at the moment seems to be jumping around between 1:50 and 3:10 (because I'm using it). Is this just a clever trick, or is it using more advanced CPU throttling techniques or something?
It could just be better power management. The processor being throttled back to conserve battery life unless full power is needed. Your similar xbench scores suggest that during the test the processor is acting more like a 1GHz than a 667MHz. Maybe xbench reads the processor speed when it's not actually under much load and therefore at reduced MHz. I don't know but I'm just guessing that is what's going on. It would explain the longer battery lives as well if the processors are being throttled more effectively in this update...

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Re: Re: clock speed thing

Originally posted by caveman_uk
It could just be better power management. The processor being throttled back to conserve battery life unless full power is needed. Your similar xbench scores suggest that during the test the processor is acting more like a 1GHz than a 667MHz. Maybe xbench reads the processor speed when it's not actually under much load and therefore at reduced MHz. I don't know but I'm just guessing that is what's going on. It would explain the longer battery lives as well if the processors are being throttled more effectively in this update...

10.2.8 made me lose over 8 points total on xbench and about 1-2 points across the board. I checked Energy Saver to find it had set it back to Auto, so I just kept it and decided to go and repair permissions and all that good stuff, restarted, and it went back up to 108 again. My disk scores seem a bit lower, though, along with my graphics scores, though. Also, it seems to restart slower for some reason, even though most have said it has made their restart times quicker.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
just redid the update on new 1Ghz TiBook and my battery is now saying around 4 hours (airport off, 2/3rd screen brightness, highest processor speed) on a 98% charge. even if i get a real life 3 hours i would be pretty happy.

i think i am going to recalibrate the battery again just to be sure.

niall2

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Mines better too

Originally posted by alirio
Anyone else have similar results?

I'm one of those people waiting for his new AluBook to ship and wincing at the reports of low battery life.

Installed on batteries. Had 1:30 left to go. After the reboot I had over 2 hours on my 12" G4 PB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.