10.2.8 Suddenly Stopped Printing! HELP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FlatHat, Mar 27, 2009.

1. FlatHat macrumors newbie

I have a disabling mystery I hope you can help me solve. Here's the story.

MAC: Power Mac G4 “Digital Audio” with 1.5 GB of RAM.

Two internal hard drives:
    1. OS 9.2.2
    2. OS 10.2.8

Two USB printers:
    1. Canon iP4000
    2. Epson 1160

PROBLEM:
    All of a sudden, in OS 10.2.8, I cannot print with either printer. For both, everything is normal until I press PRINT; the Print Center icon appears, bounces a few times, then disappears, then nothing.

I open the Print Center and find “Printer Stopped” for either printer I try. I clear the unprinted document and select “Restart Printer.”

I try printing again, and the same thing happens with either printer.

NOTES:
    1. Both printers work normally when using OS 9.2.2.
    2. This situation appeared suddenly yesterday, seemingly out of the blue. Before that -- years of trouble-free printing.
    3. I have reinstalled drivers; no change.
    4. I have run SystemWorks from the CD; found “major damage” which was then fixed.
    5. To test the basic USB interface I plugged in an outboard floppy disk drive, which worked perfectly.

QUESTIONS:
    I'm pretty much dead in the water until I can solve this problem. Where do I look next? Are there some system preferences or other files that could have been "nicked" and should be deleted so they can regenerate? Anything you can tell me will be very much appreciated.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Probably a step you may have missed, there's an option to reset the printing system in Mac OS X. For 10.4 and 10.5 you right-click on the list on the left in Print & Fax system preferences, Reset Print System. Not sure if its there in 10.2 though.

P.S. Just found this article looks like its only in 10.4 and later. I did find something that may help though, here it is: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1647