Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
A lot of people commented that tabbed browsing seems faster with 10.3.4 and it seems that way to me also; I was wondering if anyone else noticed these two problems becoming *worse* with the update to 10.3.4:

1) Safari automatically switching tabs based on load completion. Like you click a link in one tab, and while its loading, you click on another tab to do something else. But Safari seems to much more often switch back to the first tab automatically when its close to finished loading. This is annoying because if you click on a bookmark bar link, and then the tab changes, it will overwrite the wrong tab with the new page! Sounds like it would be quite a coincidence, but it happens surprisingly often. :eek:

2) I've also noticed pop-up blocker doesn't seem quite as effective. It used to pretty much never allow pop-ups that were unwanted, and now all of a sudden on sites I used to visit before the upgrade, it is passing one of the pop-up ads. :(

Anyone else noticed either of these? Is there some prefs setting that's new that I need to update? :(

stoid

macrumors 601
I have noticed the completed page pull back, but with Pop-Up Blocker and third-party Pith Helmet, the ads that I see have dwindled to roughly zero. Hell, PithHelmet even blocks those stupid auction ads on eBay's front page! :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
stoid said:
I have noticed the completed page pull back, but with Pop-Up Blocker and third-party Pith Helmet, the ads that I see have dwindled to roughly zero. Hell, PithHelmet even blocks those stupid auction ads on eBay's front page! :D

Thanks! Yeah...up till now I had been happy without a 3rd party blocker. I think I will have to try something like pith helmet now.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
For the tabs, I have the 'select new tabs as they open' not checked. So it never switches tabs. So, I can't really comment on this problem.

But my pop up blocker is working fine, did not notice any pop ups since upgrading to 10.3.4

cheers

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
abhishekit said:
For the tabs, I have the 'select new tabs as they open' not checked. So it never switches tabs. So, I can't really comment on this problem.

Is this the same as "Select new tabs as they are created" in the Tabs tab of the prefs? I have that unchecked already! :(

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
mkrishnan said:
Is this the same as "Select new tabs as they are created" in the Tabs tab of the prefs? I have that unchecked already! :(
yah, thats the one i meant. Strange, it would still switch tabs.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
I've found that some pages seem to be coded such that attention is automatically drawn to them when they finish loading. For example, hotmail always seems to do this. I've never really noticed this issue with most sites, the only one that really sticks out is hotmail, since it always bothers me on that site since the pages tend to be slow to load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.