10.3.9 didn't fix my iBook display pref. problem!

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Is this a common problem among iBook G4/Powerbook users?

Whenever I come back to my laptop after the screen saver or auto. blank screen, I come back to a blueish color preference. I have to go into color preferences and click on the right color pref. This happens all the time.

I thought 10.3.9 would fix this, since completely formatting my HD (for other reasons) didn't do the trick.

Are we going to be left stuck with this problem?
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Crazydream, I don't think this is a common problem, although that certainly doesn't eliminate the fact that you are experiencing it. :(

Can you please provide a little more information about what you've done? Link me if you've posted about this before.

crazydreaming said:
I thought 10.3.9 would fix this, since completely formatting my HD (for other reasons) didn't do the trick.
When you reformatted, how exactly did you get your personal files back on the computer. Did you make a copy of your home directory and drag it back onto your recreated home directory? Is there any chance you copied things from the ~/library folder back on when you did this?

Also, for diagnostic purposes, create a *new user* on your computer, from the Accounts preferences, and run the calibrator under that user. Don't fiddle with it too much -- just do something that makes the calibration clearly different from the default. Then put the iBook to sleep and see if the same issue you have experienced also occurs for the new user account. If it does NOT, then the file that is responsible is almost certainly in ~/library.

Also other potential ruleouts...
1) Did you try zapping the PRAM and the NVRAM?
2) Do you have a functioning issue with the non-volatile storage? For instance, if you turn automatic date and time check off in preferences, will your computer remember the time when you shutdown and reboot?

Hope we can find a solution for you! :)
 

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
384
1
known problem, no fix

crazydreaming said:
Is this a common problem among iBook G4/Powerbook users?

Whenever I come back to my laptop after the screen saver or auto. blank screen, I come back to a blueish color preference. I have to go into color preferences and click on the right color pref. This happens all the time.

I thought 10.3.9 would fix this, since completely formatting my HD (for other reasons) didn't do the trick.

Are we going to be left stuck with this problem?
This has been a problem with iBook G4's (not sure about all of them, but I have a 1Ghz, and I experience it) since 10.3.3. There is no fix. I have done everything the poster above mentions (zapping pram, etc.). I started a thread about this a month or so ago and several other iBook G4 users posted that they had the same problem.
 

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Thanks for the help. I will do what you told me tomorrow, but tonight I'm off to sleep...

So, then if you're saying there's no fix, what are we suppose to do? I'll be near the Apple Store tomorrow, maybe I'll bring this up... What do you think they'll tell me? This is a seriously annoying problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

For being a superior product, little things like this shouldn't happen.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,239
4
crazydreaming said:
Thanks for the help. I will do what you told me tomorrow, but tonight I'm off to sleep...

So, then if you're saying there's no fix, what are we suppose to do? I'll be near the Apple Store tomorrow, maybe I'll bring this up... What do you think they'll tell me? This is a seriously annoying problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

For being a superior product, little things like this shouldn't happen.
if your under warranty i would definitly talk to the Genius at the apple store, see if you can get something done about it, you shouldnt have to deal with it

might also be worthwhile to check out apple's suppor forums about this issue, maybe someone over there has found a fix we dont know about
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
crazydreaming said:
So, then if you're saying there's no fix, what are we suppose to do? I'll be near the Apple Store tomorrow, maybe I'll bring this up... What do you think they'll tell me? This is a seriously annoying problem. I'll let you know how it goes.
You definitely should. Not every iBook does this. I'm not at all sure why yours does. They ought to fix it for you, and it ought to be pretty easy to demonstrate the problem to them.
 

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Update;

Went to the Genious Bar. I told the problem to the genious. He said he's never heard of it before, but sounded like a real hardware problem. Especially since a fresh install didn't chance anything. Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and I didn't have time for him to look at it :( But I'll be back next Mon. once I get home from Florida.

Getting a new iBook would be cool. lol :)
 

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.