10.3.9 Powerbook G4 attempting to install 10.4.2 FAIL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by esspee1200, Oct 6, 2009.

1. esspee1200 macrumors newbie

esspee1200

hi all,

i am currently running 10.3.9 on my powerbook g4 17".

i bought apple original install disk that indicate on them "powerbook g4 15-inch and 17-inch mac os x install disk"

so, i attempted to do the install and it only goes as far as selecting a language and then saying that it is unable to install.

any reason why? help!!

thanks in advance.

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Grey disc, probably?

It shipped with and was made to be used exclusively with a later model (than yours) of the Powerbook G4.

In other words, you will need to buy a different disc. Preferably, you buy the retail disc, which has a big X and is not grey.

3. esspee1200 thread starter macrumors newbie

esspee1200

yes, it is the grey disk. i am on the assumption that it is for my powerbook g4 17" because it indicates that on the disk.

are these grey disks exclusive only to the computer that it might have came with when purchased brand new?

4. esspee1200 thread starter macrumors newbie

esspee1200

also read this, that might help me out. yet, i have no idea how to do this....

"All you have to do is replace the OSInstall.mpkg file on the OEM disk with the file from a retail disk (see the 8GB SSD guide here Guide Advanced 3: Customizing the Mac OS X Installer | DellEFI | mechdrew for details on modifying the OSInstall.mpkg file). Actually, you only need to modify or replace the "Distribution" file within OSInstall.mpkg."

should i do this or is my original fixable with another alternative?

5. esspee1200 thread starter macrumors newbie

esspee1200

some also recommended this:

"First, you will need to assess which ROM version you are presently on. You can do this by selecting About This Mac under the Apple Menu, then clicking On "More Info" , then looking next to Hardware for "Boot Rom Version" - right down the version numbers and letters it lists.

Next. you will need to visit the Support section of Apple's website - look up your specific laptop, and look for updates, then look specifically for Boot Rom updates. (Note that Apple does not push out Boot Rom Updates as part of the normal weekly updates). Compare the version of any Apple available Boot Rom updates against your version - make sure your looking at Apples latest Boot Rom Version.

If you determine that Apple has a newer Boot Rom available, you can download it, read the install instructions and begin the install/update process. "

any help in regards to where exactly i can find this? i went to apple's website under support, but could not navigate to this download.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I don't think the original is going to work.. You will have to make a copy/clone of it, and do something like described above to it. Or get a retail version disc.

It is unlikely your boot ROM, since I think Software Update in 10.3.9 would have presented it to you already.