Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
10.3 should have networking over FireWire, a feature that was briefly possible last year until Apple pulled the application from its servers.

Network rendering should be a no-brainer for any application that renders media (XGrid maybe?).

I would expect Apple to include a simple audio-recording application since there are only 3rd-party solutions for this at present.

DVD Player should be completely re-written. With the current incarnation it is not possible to drag the video window over to a second monitor (despite this being possible with the OS 9 version). Surround sound should also be decoded by this application and it would not be a bad idea to include an efficient EQ as well (don't write to me about Audio Hijack, it has a 1 second delay).

iTunes is also long overdue for MP4 compatibility.

I would also like to see an iVideo or something like that. This imaginary application would rip video from DVDs as easilly as iTunes rips Audio CDs. Macrovision piracy-protection be damned, I pay for all my DVDs.

QuickTime should be able to output most formats through a connected camera. I know an application called MovieOut can do this but the performance would be a lot better if QuickTime had this feature built-in.

We have a Classic layer, we have X11, why not have a layer for x86? With Virtual PC now a property of Microsoft it would be in Apple's best interests to offer optimised Windows compatibility for those applications that have no Mac versions. A lot of people need to use specific accounting software for example and I am sure any recent Mac can handle those through emulation.

A better Dock. The current version needs 3rd party utilities to change its colour, shadow, outline etc. Shrunk windows from applications should not take another spot on the Dock, they should go on top of that application's original icon. More animations would also go down well. Rather than bouncing, the icons should be rotating.

Finder sounds - they give the computer so much more personality.

As stated above by other posters, Finder labels should make a return. This was a feature of the OS 9 Finder that I really apprecieted and it should have been part of OS X from the beginning.

Anyway, those are my suggestions on how to make the best OS even better. I sure hope Apple is listening.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Sol
10.3 should have networking over FireWire, a feature that was briefly possible last year until Apple pulled the application from its servers.
its still up, i just went and downloaded it.

iJon

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
It would be nice if the "Record" function in Script Editor would work with the Finder.

That would make syncronization of my address book and iCal between my home mac and work mac a lot easier (without a shareware or .Mac cost).

And audio support, where is the audio support? Time stamps, please (refer to Wildcat Canyon's software's reason for discontinued development of Mac software: http://www.wildcat.com/Site/Autoscore/AutoscoreMacDisc.htm

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I personally want OSX to remember my open folders, windows, and apps. When I logout or shutdown. That way when I login or startup I can go right back to where I left off. Also it would be nice to have the ability to leave an app running while you logoff to let another user use the computer.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by MacBandit
I personally want OSX to remember my open folders, windows, and apps. When I logout or shutdown. That way when I login or startup I can go right back to where I left off. Also it would be nice to have the ability to leave an app running while you logoff to let another user use the computer.

agreed. that should be a feature.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Originally posted by MacBandit
Why would you want to network over firewire? Last time I checked 800Mb/s is still slower then 1Gb/s.

Tis True but not every Mac has Gigabit Ethernet nor the option.

Apple will avoid and PC Emulation like the plague. It's a lose/lose situation. Even if you implement it well enough you've just burdened your Tech Support now with supporting another OS...one which is tough enough on dedicated hardware.

For 10.3 Apple needs to.

Fix the Finder. It needs to be faster and more cohesive. Spatial characterstics need improvement.

Look to a new FS. I love the idea of integrating a Database into the Filesystem for fast lookups. Apple should beat Microsoft to the punch on this just like Quartz Extreme.

Fix the backend of the iApps. It's distressing that the iApps seem so small but their performance leaves alot to be desired. Something behind the scenes needs to be optimized.

Revamp Applescript. What a terrific Technology Apple has and is neglecting. The promise of hitting a record button and recording scripts is a Holy Grail. Applescript should be as pervasive as Apple can make it .

Audio- Coreaudio has given the Mac new Audio life. Let's extend that to consumer audio as well. License DD and DTS. Rewrite DVD Player to support these and output multichannel audio via FW800.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
- I'd really like Apple to make Developers able to create full menu bar menus. I'm not a developer, but I do use Konfabulator, and would love to be able to move its menu bar icon to the right of the time. I don't know if Apple will do this, but I'd like it.

all oyu need to do is hold down control and drag it to whereever you want :)

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
all oyu need to do is hold down control and drag it to whereever you want :)

Ummm....

That's not quite so. Apple's menu bar items you can move by command-dragging them (not control-dragging), but since Konfabulator isn't really a menu bar item, it doesn't work like that.

What were you imagining?

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
The print manager drives me nuts. Why, when the majority of macintosh users have only one printer (sure, I'm guessing, but it's probably true...)must the print manager require you to double click "which" printer you are using? From an intuitive company, that is quite counter-productive. Not very good for the average user.

My suggestion: Instant access to "Hold Jobs, Start Jobs, Delete, Resume, etc." when you have only one printer (or only one printer plugged in).

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
Another utility application which gets on my nerves is the Help Center. I haven't heard people complain about it lately, but it's just as bad as it ever was, and it prevents me from wanting to read applications' help files, even if I need the assistance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.