10.3 to 10.4: What will transfer over?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drummingcraig, Dec 3, 2007.

1. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I am in the process of replacing an ailing HD on my 15" Aluminum PB (1.25GHz). I have also decided that this is a good time to install Tiger on the new drive, and basically start over with a clean slate.

My question is, how seemless will the data transfers be going from Panther to Tiger? More specifically, how will I go about importing my email data, address book, and things like stickies and what-not into the respective apps in 10.4 (assuming I am able to salvage that data from the old drive :rolleyes:)?

Craig

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very easily. Tiger and Panther had very similar ways of keeping files and settings organised, so you shouldn't have too many hassles. You can either use Migration Assistant if you ever get that drive working, or you can manually drag many of the components to their equivalent spots on the new drive. For example, taking the contents of the Music folder and putting it in the new Music folder should help you retain all your iTunes settings and data. :)

3. drummingcraig thread starter macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I installed the new drive last week, and put the failing drive in a firewire enclosure. I performed a clean install of Tiger and then was able to pull off most everything I needed/wanted off of the bad drive.

I'm still moving stuff here and there, and having the most trouble with my saved mail folders, but otherwise I am pretty happy, especially since my bloated 80GB PB now has a roomy 160GB drive (patitioned into a 100 and a 60). :D

Thanks again,

Craig

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. What's the problem with the saved mail folder? :)

5. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

If I were to purchase a 10.4 upgrade from 10.3 is it just a case of putting the disk in and it upgrading the OS?
    will everything else just work as normal?
    Oh and how long will this take?

cheers :)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apple didn't really sell upgrade discs, per se. It'd be a better idea to get your hands on a normal retail version. Back everything up for a start. Then I'd recommend reformatting and reinstalling, rather than performing an upgrade. This will delete all your data but if you're properly backed up then this shouldn't be an issue. :)

7. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

8. riker1384 macrumors regular

I also have 10.3.9 and am about to upgrade to 10.4. I have a backup, but it's not recent so I would have to do another backup first if I was going to do a clean install. Is there anything wrong with just upgrading it? That sounds a lot easier if it works, since I wouldn't have to go and figure out every single thing that I should move back.

What would happen with applications? If the 10.4 discs have a newer version of something, will it get deleted and replaced, or would I end up with two? The 10.4 discs are a couple years old, so they could even have older versions of some things.

Will I have any trouble upgrading from the original 10.4, having to apply 2 years of online updates with Software Update?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I had troubles with upgrading from 10.3.9 to 10.4. At least look at an archive & install over an upgrade, if a reformat doesn't suit. Back everything up with the assumption you'll lose it all though, to be safe.