10.4.10 and hard freezes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tarkie, Aug 11, 2007.

1. tarkie macrumors newbie

I have a house full of Mac's. 2 iMacs, my trusty Powerbook G4, and my Mac Pro.

They are all running 10.4.10, except the Mac Pro. This is because when I first installed it, it would hard freeze. Not reboot, not Kernal Panic, but freeze to a dead stop.

When running 10.4.9 it will run for weeks and weeks with no issue, infact its rock solid. So, when getting these hard freezes, i down graded (full format) to 10.4.9, and normality returned.

Now with iLife '08, and iWork '08 being 10.4.10 dependent, i tried again.

Freezes returned. :(

So, i've archive installed, and im back and running stable with 10.4.9 again.

Anyone any ideas what could be causing this, or should I just wait for 10.4.11/Leopard to arrive (which is already plan A).

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't know the answer but I've seen a number of problems since 10.4.10 and I doubt they'll be solved until 10.4.12.

3. Reiger macrumors regular

Hmm, this is very interesting. You say it is probably 10.4.10 related. I have a Macbook Pro. I also have frequent freezes. It is really annoying. All Apple can come up with is that the memory is bad. However, I have run multiple tests and I can find nothing, absolutely nothing.

Which program are using when your Mac Pro freezes? My Macbook Pro seems to be the most prone to it, when running Safari and when I'm scrolling a website.

4. tarkie thread starter macrumors newbie

It could be anything, the latest one was at the Warcraft log on screen (Windowed). But, i've had it in Mail, Safari, etc :(

5. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

My iMac has recently started beachballing loads (mainly when using internet-related applications) It never done that with OS X prior 10.4.10. None of my hardware has changed so I'm assuming it's something to do with the update.

Although my computer won't totally freeze, the beachballing makes it pretty much unusable for 10-15 seconds. It's really starting to grind my gears now.

6. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I'm not very impress with 10.4.10 either. i have a 1.42 ibook that has been rock solid for me since day one. now it seems slower. i'm running the same applications at once as i always did, but they run slower.

--msn messenger quits on me about 8/10 when i close a conversation window. using the red x, or with cmd w. sometimes i get a msn error report, other times i get a OS X error message.

--i can't open DMG files. i download a dmg file, and safari wont mount it for me any more. when i go and try to open it manually, the computer sits and does nothing for about a minute before telling me that the file is corrupted or not available or some other pity excuse. So now i send them over to my family's G5 and it mounts them in a heart beat. It's running 10.4.10 as well, and seems just fine.

--a issue i have had since day 1, so it could be hardware. the sound will shift from stereo to the left channel once in a while. No i've notice that it is favoring 3/4 of the way towards the right channel. But if you use head phones it stays in center. I have heard of other ibook owners having this problem, but no update seems to fix it.

i want 10.4.9 again :(.

7. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

same here. when i come home from work. my macbook is uaully frozen. really pisses me off actually.

8. dxl007 macrumors newbie

And when it does freeze and you hold the button on the back to turn it off then back on you get bad file structure and have to reload anyway. :mad:

9. tarkie thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, an update of sorts.

Still on 10.4.9 and still rock solid, uptime now :

21:50 up 4 days, 23:35, 2 users, load averages: 0.03 0.09 0.08

10.4.10 would be lucky if it lasted an hour :(

I think when payday arrives, I'll splash out for Applecare for this system. I've got it for my Powerbook G4, but none of my other systems. Just in case it starts crashing again when I go to 10.5.0.

10. danols15 macrumors newbie

Mac OS X Freezes needs to restart 10.4.10

Hello,

On my G3 Powermac (upgraded to 1GHZ G3 1GB ram ATA 133) was exhibiting some really wierd symptoms after installing the .10 Update. It would often happen in safari and just sit, with my best friend the spinning beach ball...:mad: If I would let it sit long enough, it would need to be restarted. When I would reboot it would say, Mac OS X quit unexpectedly. it would then ask me if I would like to send the error to apple, but would usually crash too. I ended up reinstalling 10.4 up to 10.4.9 and it has been rock solid ever since. I dont know if .10 had some issue with the classic firmware in that G3 or what, but it was unhappy.

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I've always wondered if the last versions before an update (Leopard) are purposely buggy to inspire you to purchase the new OS update. I had nothing but problems with 10.3.9 right before Tiger came out and I keep hearing this about 10.4.10

</conspiracy theory> :p

12. Doctor X macrumors newbie

Huh.

I do not think it is, because I notice my headphones have done that on my ancient Mac listed below. Other than that I have not noticed a problem.

--J.D.

13. TilJ macrumors member

Are you using wireless? 10.4.10 has a problem with kernel panics under some wireless situations. Workarounds are to use a different WAP or to run a cable.

14. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

I'm also getting a lot of beachballs and slow downs on 10.4.10 (this text had to catch up with my typing). I'm on a 2Ghz C2D with 2Gb of RAM, so it should be smooth as butter.

Hopefully 10.4.11 will clean things up a bit.

15. tarkie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the server has Wireless enabled.

Could you detail the workarounds?

16. TilJ macrumors member

17. tarkie thread starter macrumors newbie

I think this isnt my problem.

I do use WPA with preshared keys. However, I do not get Kernel Panics, the machine just stops. Everything, stops. Dead. I have to power cycle it to get it back. The theme in those two threads are all Kernel Panics.

I do want to get to the bottom of this however, as either Apple need to realise it is a software problem and fix it, or I need to get my Mac Pro (note server, not Laptop) repair when still in warrently.

Thanks all.

18. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Have you tried downloading the full size "Combo" update from Apple and re-applying it. I've found that this can solve a multitude of problems.

Also, there's the well-known "OMG, (insert update name here) hosed my Mac" syndrome, which raises a question. Do you (a) just let your Mac sit there while it downloads and runs the update, or do you (b) carry on working?

If you answered (b) then you need to visit Unsanity's blog, here and read their analysis.

Definitely worth a read. I had long ago developed a "superstitious" fear of doing anything else while my mac updates itself but this article justifies and explains that fear. Apparently, there's a 100% reproducible bug on the prebinding (optimisation) that can render your mac unbootable or cause other issues. It's OK to carry on working while your Mac downloads an update and it's OK to carry on working while your installs it but, while optimisation is running, do not touch anything.

Effectively, this means that it's best to go and make a cup of tea while software update works its magic.

19. tarkie thread starter macrumors newbie

20. dxl007 macrumors newbie

Is there any way to get .9 up date? My CD is .8, and with .10 it hard locked all the time to the point I miss my windows... and thats bad!

Also I can't sync my iPhone is says you must have .10. Is there a work around? Please help.

21. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1049comboupdateppc.html

or if you have intel:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1049comboupdateintel.html

there is a way to go back to the last version of OS X but i forgot how you do it. Im not sure if i would do it with out backing things up. I did it with 10.3.7 and went back to .6 and all hell broke loose. 10.3.7 was the worst update for me on my powermac G5. and 10.4.10 is the worst so far for my ibook.

Part of my problem was i had safari 3 beta. i got rid of that and that solved some problems. namely msn messenger dying every-time i closed a conversation window.

22. dxl007 macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will add that update tonight to my iMac. I still don't think I will be able to sync my iPhone though as it requiers 10.4.10 I think, but o well. When does Lepard come out? And how do some people have it already?