10.4.10 breaks external USB Microphones

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SDDave2007, Jul 10, 2007.

1. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

As many of you are painfully aware, the 10.4.10 upgrade that came out a few weeks ago introduced a number of "problems"... One was a popping noise in your speakers, and another was USB/Webcam microphones [external] stopped working.

Audio Update 2007-01 fixed the popping sound, but did not address the now silent microphone issue.

Apple just sent me an email, which inferred that they were totall unware of this problem and requested that I send them a complete system profile to help their engineers track down the problem.

I find this to be totally ludicrous. and I cannot believe that Apple is expecting me [us] to perform diagnostics on OSX. Especailly when this particular issue is documented on over 57,000 sites [per Google], leading me to believe that more than just myself is suffering from this problem.

Oh yeah... and the email also infered that I was under some kind of a non-disclosure agreement..... Well I am disclosing.

Oh yeah.. seems this is INTEL Macs only....

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Mine Still Works Just Fine

Didn't break my old Andrea USB NC-7100 at all on Quad G5. Why not welcome their interest in your problem - not lamblast them? It shows they care. Why don't you care to help them?

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have an Intel Mac Pro (I guess that's redundant since they all are Intel) and my USB Microphone works fine. Or people in Ventrillo can read my mind and respond to me.

They aren't asking you to run diagnostics. They are trying to help you troubleshoot your problem and/or find a possible bug with your unique configuration.

Calm down and give em what they want. A system profile takes all of 2 minutes to collect. They aren't asking you to remove internal hardware and run a volt meter over your motherboard. They want a text file that OS X will make for you.

Saying 57,000 per google is just... silly. You can't use google as a metric for such a precise query. What if all the sites say, "My iPod doesn't work and all I have plugged in for peripherals is a USB microphone." It'll probably come up in your query.

4. SDDave2007 thread starter macrumors regular

well after responding to numerous requests for information from Apple Tech Support..... I get this in an email from them

Took them 4 days to figure this out? They should have had it fixed in less time than that [they know its a driver issue, they know that the 10.4.9 driver works]

Guess should consider the fact that Mico$oft would never have responded at all :D

5. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

So Apple does nothing and you're pissed.

And Apple tries to help you and you're pissed.

I think you might just be angry. Do you have someone, er... professional that you can talk to? :p

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm having no issues on my fried Logitech 350 USB Headset. Works just great in Skype and TeamSpeak.

7. bbain macrumors newbie

This issue is also seen on FW audio devices -- they stopped being recognized by OS X after the last update. the solution was to rollback the FW audio driver (Mackie's support site has the details). I don't have any USB audio devices, so I don't know if there's a similar fix for USB devices (or whether the same fix would work), but it's worth investigating as a possible fix.

BTW, it was an Intel mac issue only.