10.4.10 update issues...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FinalPage, Jun 24, 2007.

1. FinalPage macrumors newbie

I'm in a spot of bother... my iMac (intel core duo) was taking forever to start up. I ran disk utility and repaired the disk permissions, but this didn't fix the slow to start issue, so I ran verify disk and encountered an "invalid sibling link" error when trying to verify or repair the start-up disk.

Read a bit about this - decided diskwarrior might be the go, but got impatient when I realised I'd have to wait for the CD to arrive as you can't make a boot-disk from the downloaded version. So I decided to run software update - selected the latest security update (2007-06 I think) along with the 10.4.10 update hoping this might help.

Really nasty problems started here! The 10.4.10 update failed (first time this has ever happened to me, but I've noticed that a few other people have had this problem updating with the software updater). I was however left with the shutdown/restart option as the security update was succesful. Hit restart - computer restarted very slowly as it has been doing, but then - no mouse or keyboard activity!!!! :( Everything else is fine - I can see the finder - can see a dialogue asking me if I want airport to keep my passwords etc from the previous version, but the keyboard and mouse are dead.

Tried re-starting in safe-mode - but the computer just completely shuts down after about 5 seconds. Can start in single user mode - but still no keyboard.

I can boot from OSX cd and tried an "archive and install" re-installation of OSX, but it fails because it gets an error when trying to verify the target volume... :(

Oh - also - no wireless connectivity.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can at least get my keyboard and mouse to work again so I can run diskwarrior on the darn thing and try and fix the sibling-thingo-problem?!!?!?

Tools currently at my disposal are a MacBook Pro. And a hammer.

Please please please help!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Lesson: don't run system updates when your drive has errors.

Really, you need to back up your data and reformat the drive. I know you didn't mention another Mac, but if you can get your hands on one then use Target Disk Mode to try to access your files. Alternatively, try booting from an external drive or remove your current drive and put it in an external case for another Mac to access. Trying to boot form this drive and access its files is probably asking too much at this stage, considering the sibling link errors.

Sorry mate, but I think this is your best shot. Oh, and you might want to start looking round for a replacement hard drive. :eek:

3. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

He did mention another Mac, madjew :)

If you can't Archive and Install at least long enough to get your essential files off to your MBP, then you have a couple options I can think. You can connect the two machines via a Firewire cable, have your MBP running with the iMac off, boot the iMac while holding down the T key, and see if your iMac's hard drive shows up on your MBP's desktop.

You said that booting from the install CD's Disk Utility and trying "Repair Disk" didn't actually repair the problem? I don't know anything specifically about an "Invalid Sibling Link" message in Disk Utility, but to me that reeks of a dying hard drive if the utility can't fix it. Of course I could just be reaching and its some really nasty corrupting in the filesystem; I really don't know anything about the workings of HFS+ and definitely not "sibling links." Try again, maybe? It could be the fsck fixed a part of the problem and running multiple times will gradually fix the corrupted parts of the filesystem? Bit o' a shot in the dark, but it doesn't sound like you've got much other choice.

If all else fails then I hope you're one of the tiny percentage of people that keeps some kind of backup because all you'll be left with (barring $$$ and potentially useless commercial file recovery) is a reformat and a clean install.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Oh yeah, thanks Sbrocket. :D

Well, don't try an Archive & Install 'cause it'll place undue stress on the drive. Get stuck into Target Disk Mode and retrieve your data. Then reformat the drive and reinstall OSX, however be prepared to replace the drive. I wouldn't trust it as far as I could kick it, which incidentally is roughly twelve meters but less if I'm not wearing shoes.

5. FinalPage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice! Will pick up a firewire cable tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to losing all my apps but recovering my photos and email folders sounds promising.

The S.M.A.R.T. disk check thing in disk utility says "verified" not "about to die" - is this just wishful thinking on my part!?! :) ie - I'm kind of thinking I might be able to repair the disk damage with diskwarrior after I've retrieved my files and then do an archive & install so I don't have to re-install all my apps... OSX starts ok (even drops into screen-saver mode after 10 minutes so I can watch all the photos I'm trying to save on slide show....) but as I said - no keyboard or mouse once I get past the start-up phase...

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, see how DiskWarrior goes, but I don't have high hopes. For what it's worth, Target Disk Mode will allow you to mount your iMac on the MacBook Pro effectively as an external drive. Retrieving your apps is still a possibility. Best of luck mate. :)

7. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Yeah. SMART is actually a pretty poor indicator of when a drive is going to fail.

8. FinalPage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone who gave advice yesterday!

Update on my problem in case someone else finds the info useful. I'm currently listening to the wonderful sounds of the OSX welcome screen!

I bought a firewire cable - was fortunately able to reboot in Target Disk Mode. Ripped off all my data to the macbook.

The added bonus was that when I ran disk utility on the macbook pro I was able to access the dodgy volume on the iMac and repair it!! Worth noting that I had to run disk repair twice. First time it went through and repaired heaps (took about 20 minuites) then failed. Second time it ran through without a glitch in about 3-4 minutes. Have no idea why running disk repair from the install CD would be any different, but there you go! (tried this about 15 times and got no where at all...)

No joy restarting osX (probably because of the not so successful attempt to update to 10.4.10 on a stuffed drive :) ). Have now re-installed osX (was feeling lucky so I did an archive and re-install without preserving user data rather than a wipe-clean and install). All my apps are still there and appear to be running normally. I'm going to manually rebuild the user profiles (basically only want the email anyway). Not so sure about the viability of the drive long term, but for now I'm back in business.

Guess the best bit of info I can pass on is: if you are having no joy with running disk utility (in particular if it is returning "invalid sibling link" errors) try connecting via firewire and running disk util from another machine. Worked for me! And only had to fork out $10.

Now have the slightly onerous task of updating from 10.4.4, but after how things were looking yesterday - it seems like a blessing!

Thanks again!

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

If you only worry about email, then why would you not backup your ~/Library/Mail folder and ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist (mail app preference) file to a safe place? Then just do a clean install and copy the folder and preference file back. That way you would get benefits from a clean install and mail app would not even know you re-installed the system (as long as you go to the same OS version you started from).

10. FinalPage thread starter macrumors newbie

Ummm.. A. because I don't know too much about mac maintenance and B. because I was freaking out about losing all my apps. I may have misplaced some of the install disks.. ;)

Do you know if I can just copy my apps folder accross in much the same method as the mail folder and prefs?? And should I download the 10.4.9 combo install before I attempt the 10.4.10 update again?

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A few things to note:

1. Your drive will probably not last. Keep everything backed up, including your entire Home folder which holds your email and Mail's settings.
    2. Reformat the drive. You'll probably get a little extra life out of it if you reformat now.
    3. Keep a copy of your application's install discs or DMGs, and the appropriate serial numbers. Some apps can be copied across, but not all. Generally speaking, if an app came with an installer then use the installer to get it back on the system. If you simply needed to drag it across to your Applications folder then you can drag it back there after a reinstall.
    4. Don't pirate software. There are a lot of developers on this board who are more than willing to help you out but need the royalties from their apps to keep eating, and then keep helping.

12. FinalPage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Mad Jew. And point well taken re software. :eek: End of financial year is approaching too... as much as I love to hate that little man with glasses and his mega company (and he lives in such a PC world too!) I shall do the right thing.

I really do appreciate the assistance I have received here - first foray into forums and it has been a very positive experience!

Don't suppose you have any advice re the 10.4.10 update do you? I'm quite disconcerted by all the stories about popping speakers osX taking forever to start after the upgrade etc etc.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. I've had no troubles with 10.4.10 on the machines I service (around ten of 'em). If you're going to load in 10.4.10, then use the combo update straight to 10.4.10. There's no pint in getting to 10.4.9 first. :)