10.4.10 update turned my Mac into a PC!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ben Kei, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Ben Kei macrumors regular

This is driving me crazy!

Since updating my work machine (quad G5) to 10.4.10 it won't let me empty the trash if I have looked at a graphic file and still have Preview open.

It seriously reminds me of when I used to work for a cross platform graphics place and it would drive me crazy that I had to shut down apps before moving or trashing files - now I'm getting it on a Mac too.

anyone else getting this problem?

I've done all the usual maintenance things to try to fix it an nothing is working or showing up as having problems.

Thanks!
    Ben

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is normal behaviour and existed before 10.4.10 at least on Intel side of things.

If it really bothers you and you have to delete it while Preview is still open then you can force empty trash.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Same thing if you've used the Slideshow function directly from the Finder's context menu and then try to trash (some of) the images and empty the Trash without restarting the Finder**.

That bug has been there "forever".

**Type "defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool yes" in Terminal or use something like TinkerTool to add a Quit item to your Finder menu, or simply type "killall Finder" in Terminal.

4. Ben Kei thread starter macrumors regular

This certainly never happened before the 10.4.10 update on my G5 at work, and I can't check it on my MacBook because I haven't updated from 10.4.9 - I'm one of those people who believes that if it works fine, why risk upsetting things with an update?

I use preview all the time at work because it's a whole load quicker than photoshop so I noticed this new but as soon as we had the update installed.

Incidentally, we upgraded from 10.4.8 so it's possible this was introduced in 10.4.9 and not .10

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well one reason to update is because they contain security fixes.

6. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

I updated my PowerMac G4 D.A. from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10, and I can't seem to download any podcasts, either through iTunes or from the website of the podcasts. And this isn't limited to just one podcast, but like 5 or 6. I tried a fresh install of iTunes 7.3.1 and it still didn't work. I might try reloading 10.4.9 back on and see if that solves any issues.