Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

10.4.11 Builds 8S151/8S2151 Distributed For Testing

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Think Secret notes that last week Apple distributed Mac OS 10.4.11 build 8S151/8S2151 for PPC and Intel.

Builds 8S151 (PowerPC) and 8S2151 (Intel) feature a handful of additional fixes, including ones targeted at system hangs at shutdown when unmounting an NFS volume, audio drift glitches, incorrect size reporting on Sun Mass Storage Devices, and more.
However, the site notes that a handful of known issues indicates the build is still a few weeks away at best from general distribution.

Article Link

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Hmmmm, a few weeks away eh. I wonder if that means Leopard won't be released till the very end of October, like the iPhone.

Comment

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
Thank god it mentions the audio drift thing, dunno how much longer I can take my sound effects getting all screwed up and combined

Comment

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Hmmmm, a few weeks away eh. I wonder if that means Leopard won't be released till the very end of October, like the iPhone.

My guess would be either October 25th (tuesday) or 28th (friday) and this is of course if everything goes well and it doesn't miss it's launch date again. recently it seems like Apple as said coming in [insert month] and doesn't get it shipped till nearly the last day of the month, AppleTv, iPhone, and now the iPod Touch. Seams clear to me that this will be a last day of the month item too,

Comment

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
The 10.4.11 release is entirely separate from the 10.5 release. I'm sure any delays in its release are due to extra bugs to fix, and not anything to do with 10.5.

Comment

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Oh! Audio drifting fixes...good! I was just noticing that preview wasn't sounding every time I dragged a picture off the tray; same with emptying trash. Which, of course, has happened before.

-=|Mgkwho

Comment

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
If I wanted to get a copy of this, where could I go?

Or, does anyone have a copy of 10.4.11 8S2151 (Intel). I would like to try it now for the hell of it.

Comment

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Or, does anyone have a copy of 10.4.11 8S2151 (Intel). I would like to try it now for the hell of it.

You should know better than to ask such a question because there is only one legal answer.

Comment

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Got it. I figured because it was for testing I could test it? Which is pretty much the honest answer.

Apple want to keep any of those releases under wraps. Even developers are told not to use them on production systems because data loss is likely. Sometimes, you can't upgrade to the real release and have to format and start over.

Most people don't want to contend with the mess, but I totally understand the desire to see it early.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
However, the site notes that a handful of known issues indicates the build is still a few weeks away at best from general distribution.

The previous seed notes said that it added support for new NZ daylight saving rules. They come into effect in just under 3 weeks, so the update needs to be out and about before then if Apple doesn't want a whole bunch of "my clock is wrong" support calls. Considering that SU only checks for updates once per week, that gives them just 12 days to get this update out there!

Comment

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The previous seed notes said that it added support for new NZ daylight saving rules. They come into effect in just under 3 weeks, so the update needs to be out and about before then if Apple doesn't want a whole bunch of "my clock is wrong" support calls. Considering that SU only checks for updates once per week, that gives them just 12 days to get this update out there!

Sure, but it could also be released as a separate update to give them more time to finish 10.4.11.

Comment

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
That's a possibility (and will hopefully do 10.3 too).

What is this 10.3 you speak of ? . . . oh that old panther OS.... j/k :p

<random>
Ya know one of my odd little quarks is that even though I know I'll buy the upgraded/new OS I always make a backup disk of all updates pertaining to an old OS version and put it with the install CD's... just in case we have a nuke-war, all of Apple's update servers are down and I happen to need an older OS I guess lol.
</random>

Comment

mountainbiker80

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007

That's what I did...I couldn't wait any longer to get Leopard. Its all under non-disclosure. They don't even have a forum for those with legitimate access to discuss their findings. And findings there are!

Got it. I figured because it was for testing I could test it? Which is pretty much the honest answer.

You could always convince your boss to pass the $500 fee and get a year's access to the seeds and to Panther...on the premise that you need to be sure to submit as many bugs as possible so that moving the office machines (only 10% of our boxes are Mac) to 10.5 is as smooth as possible. :D

Worked for me. ;) And to be honest, so far, its money WELL spent.

Comment

Klaus1

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2002
Somerset, UK
That's what I did...I couldn't wait any longer to get Leopard. Its all under non-disclosure. They don't even have a forum for those with legitimate access to discuss their findings. And findings there are!.

Yes, it is obviously under non-disclosure and if you had a genuine copy of 10.4.11 (assuming for the purpose of this discussion that it exists) or even Leopard you would be a beta-tester with Apple, which is by invitation only.

The fact that you state in error that there is no Apple forum to discuss seeded betas proves that you are not a genuine beta tester. If you were you would have access to it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.