10.4.11 screwed up my computer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Donny Jeffcoat, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Donny Jeffcoat macrumors newbie

i was running 10.4.9 on my quicksilver G4 until yesterday when i decided to run the update since i needed it for some software and fixes. now it wont start up most of the time and has causes a ton of problems.

first, my transparent dock is gone. second, my sound card (m-audio revolution 7.1) now doesnt work properly as the sound is fuzzy when i play music. i even tried to reintall the drivers but then i got NO SOUND and the analog out was disabled in sound preferences. i uninstalled the drivers and am left with no sound now.

its been giving me kernel panics and tells me to restart when i try to boot up. also the apple is huge as well as the restart box (looks like its on a 640x480 monitor).

when i started up, the time was gone and my internet didnt work. the network preferences didnt even allow me to check built-in ethernet. i restarted and now everything works again *knock on wood*.

is there any way i can go back to 10.4.9? also, how well does 10.5 work on PPCs? would my dual 1 GHz G4 run slower with it?

2. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

I'm waiting on my first PowerMac G4 Quicksilver right now so I can't attest to Leopard on that (although that will be what I use on it)

However, I do have Leopard installed on my Powerbook G4 12" and it's got 1.24 gigs of ram and a 1.42 ghz processor and it works like a dream, so I think you'd be fine with Leopard, you exceed the minimum specs which called for the 867mhz Quicksilver at the least.

3. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I just installed 10.5 on a 1.25Ghz MDD G4, 1.5GB ram, and it works great for an old machine. I say go to 10.5, as it's the last OS to support PPC machines. :cool:

Next time you update, you might want to consider downloading the Combo updates from Apple vs. using Software Update. I never update the OS X system via Software Update... I always download the Combo from Apple's site and go that way. So far I've never had any problems after updating across dozens of computers.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Also, make a clone of your system, then you can go back if it gets "screwed up".