Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
Right, I go into work today and my mac wouldn't boot (G5 quad 2.5).

Actually more truthfully, it would boot but only into a restore partition which has jamf Casper software on it.

Our casper back ups are stored on an X-Serve so it can be restored to any machine on the network, via the network.

So, I've run the Casper back up software a couple of times over and I'm getting a problem which we've never had before, not sure if it's an issue with the installation or the machine itself.

After the image has installed the Mac reboots as normal but instead of getting the log in screen as normal ( we are all network users here.. grr ) I get a black screen with a couple of lines of text ni the top right.

/etc/master.passwd: No such file or directory
-sh-2.05b#

I tried booting up from the OS disk and I get a kernel panic, a page full of script and the multi languge message saying to turn off at the power.

As I said, I've gone thorugh this a couple of times over now incase it had a problem first time round but no joy.

Any ideas?

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
Right, I've got it sorted so I get the login screen but it doesn't recognise any of our network user ID's.

I've been into the admin account and checked the network settings, they're fine.

If anyone knows why the network users aren't being recognised I'd be really appreciative!

Thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What did you do to get to the login screen? When you booted from the OSX disc, were you still physically connected to the network? Are others having login issues? :)

Ben Kei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2002
London UK
mad jew said:
What did you do to get to the login screen? When you booted from the OSX disc, were you still physically connected to the network? Are others having login issues? :)

To get the login screen up I followed this guide on Apples site.

When I rebooted I got the login screen as normal.

When I tried to boot from the disk it went straight into a kernal panic then over-printed the screen with a whole list of commands and script.

Everyone else is fine on the network

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well that's weird. I don't understand the OS 9 connection. Hopefully someone much smarter than me can come along and tell you what's happening. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.