10.4.9 Finder loads then dies, over and over - help! (quick if u dont mind)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nick mulder, Jul 5, 2007.

1. nick mulder macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm typing this on the PC partition of my intel i:confused: mac here as I am unable to use OS X at the current time...

Anyhoo - so I opened an .hqx file at which at reaching about %80 uncompress my finder crashed and started loading and crashing and loading and crashing - constantly ...

I can open progs via the dock, but can only use the capability of the window UI and not the taskbar of the chosen application...

nothing 'finder-esque' works...

Upon opening up XP here and using macdrive it says my mac partition is kaput and is now read-only, I see a funky named file on the desktop "9_5©03^.__5K70_12i--) ..1_2____.macappl" - which wasn't there previously and I suspect is the output of the nasty .hqx - I cant delete the #@$& thing (its probably the source of my problems??) ...

resetting PRAM and disk-repair and file permissions repair via the install disks hasn't helped ...

I am afraid I'm going to have to kill the OS as I only have 2GB left on the mac partition at the current time ... which means XP also... ARRRRGH!

Any suggestions about how to fix this problem without re-install appreciated
    (and no, the terminal isn't in my dock at the mo')

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Trash your Finder preferences? Turn off startup items (probably not possible if you can't load the machine).

3. nick mulder thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant access any finder style actions such as the trash ... Turn off startup items - hmmm I think I can get to sys preferecnes ... I'll give it a go

4. nick mulder thread starter macrumors newbie

wowsa,

what an offensive little program that was :eek:

I got rid of it by going into Adobe Bridge which acted like a proxy finder and deleted it there - problem has gone away...

If anyone is interested in reverse engineering it I'll gladly email you the .hqx - it's like the cell phone in the Transformers movie

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

6. nick mulder thread starter macrumors newbie

Um, no...

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

8. nick mulder thread starter macrumors newbie

I deleted the
    (am I not explaining myself adequately here ???)

"wowsa" - wa wa weee!**golly gosh! who woulda thought! wowsa.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok. I get you now. But I wouldn't suspect that a desktop file would cause problems like that. Not to mention an .hqx file is an old stuffit file for Mac Classic OS, what were you trying to unstuff?

Glad its working.

10. nick mulder thread starter macrumors newbie

A max/msp patch .. :cool:

cheers!