Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
The thread is rumors is getting a bit long, so please share your minor and major horror stories concerning the 10.4.9 update here.

Sandock

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
Calgary, Canada
Updated to 10.4.9, now webcam wont work with iChat

Hey all. Hope this is the right thread for this. My mom runs Tiger on a G4 Powerbook. We normally use iChat to do videochat. She runs iChatUSB to enable her logitech 4000 to work with iChat. We had no problem so far.

Until she updated to 10.4.9.

Now, we cannot videochat. A message on her side tells her that another program is using her camera. On my side, I can see she has a camera icon, but anytime I try to videochat with her, I get a declined message.

Any thoughts on how we can resolve this? She has the logitech driver installed as well as the iChatUSB (registered, not the trial version) on her powerbook.:confused:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Since 10.4.9 might support the camera on its own, have you thought about removing the Logitech drives and iChatUSB?

ginner

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Yorkshire, England
The update broke my iTunes; it would still open, but I couldn't get it to list or play my songs. After several attempts at fiddling, repairing permissions, deleting preferences etc I found success deleting the app, downloading from the Apple site and reinstalling. Phew!

jediborg2002

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2007
Since I went to 10.4.9 I keep getting a notice that syndicationagent.app has been updated and would I like to update. If you choose change all it sucks all memory to active and starts doing page in and page out. The system then starts crawling untill you restart. The problem is that when I say don't change it comes back after a small amount of time. Does anyone have any clue of what I can do to stop this from showing up. It is starting to become annoying.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
this is minor, but I guess that's what this thread is for...

I play warcraft 3 off of a disk image (yes, I legally own the game... 2 copies, in fact :rolleyes: ) so that I don't have to bother with a physical CD. Since updating, when I mount the image, I get this message:

The disk image you are opening may be damaged and could damage your system.

Are you sure you want to open this disk image?

With options to Open/Don't Open.

It just to just mount the CD image in about a second. No big deal, but a minor annoyance.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
this is minor, but I guess that's what this thread is for...

I play warcraft 3 off of a disk image (yes, I legally own the game... 2 copies, in fact :rolleyes: ) so that I don't have to bother with a physical CD. Since updating, when I mount the image, I get this message:

With options to Open/Don't Open. It just to just mount the CD image in about a second. No big deal, but a minor annoyance.

This is probably in response to all the "Month of Apple Bugs" bugs that dealt with Disk Utility. They likely couldn't actually FIX the issues in that short of a time, but adding a warning is a decent-enough first step.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
This is probably in response to all the "Month of Apple Bugs" bugs that dealt with Disk Utility. They likely couldn't actually FIX the issues in that short of a time, but adding a warning is a decent-enough first step.

I guess... if a warning is warranted. But in this case, I can't see how it is; this disk image is totally safe!

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
After I started to download and install the 10.4.9 update I started taking care of a few other things. I came back to see a kernal panic on the screen. I did a reset. The system sat on the nlue screen after login for about 4 minutes, then finally loaded. I ran techtool pro and everything seems fine. I was about to call Apple. When I first say the kernal panic I was reminded of my roomate tripping over the power cord of my iMac as I was doing a clean install. That caused the boot sequence to get messed up and I have to type "rboot" at the nice UNIX screen it gave to to boot it up. It meased up the firmware, maybe? I did remember that reformatting the drive did not help. I was rather scared. The powerbook was smoother, but still had some issues.

gikku

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
10.4.9 update hung on iBook G3, then would not boot past the grey screen, apple logo never appears.

Eventually booted into safe mode, (hold shift at chime) Repaired Permissions in Disk Utility and ran Automation in Onyx, rebooted. all good now (after about 3hrs of mild concern).

Also 10.4.9 added iSync support for the SE K610i phone - woo hoo.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
My eject button doesn't seem to work well. It seems to not work at all or it is delayed or I have to push it a lot before it does work.

The Stig

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
My eject button doesn't seem to work well. It seems to not work at all or it is delayed or I have to push it a lot before it does work.

The Stig
Yes, this is a new feature. It will (hopefully) prevent any accidental disk ejections (especially one notebooks).

Just hold it down for a second and your disk will eject. :)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I love the new "paused-eject" feature. I was accidentally hitting the Eject key instead of the Delete key way too often when I had my MacBook.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I thought it had borked my iMac. After installing the Combo update, it booted into the error gray screen with the circle with a line through it. I restarted and it didn't even get that far, staying stuck on an empty gray screen.

I couldn't even boot off my external drive or the install disk.

Finally, I remembered that I'd heard USB devices can sometimes cause such behaviour after OS updates, so I disconnected my USB printer and removed a thumb drive and it rebooted.

Everything seems fine after that.

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
10.4.9 update hung on iBook G3, then would not boot past the grey screen, apple logo never appears.

Eventually booted into safe mode, (hold shift at chime) Repaired Permissions in Disk Utility and ran Automation in Onyx, rebooted. all good now (after about 3hrs of mild concern).

Also 10.4.9 added iSync support for the SE K610i phone - woo hoo.

Having a similar issue on a G3 Pismo, it's hanging at the apple screen. Will attempt a safe boot I suppose.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island

The Stig

Same here. Weird.

Other than that, it runs like butter on my MBP.

Yes, this is a new feature. It will (hopefully) prevent any accidental disk ejections (especially one notebooks).

Ahh, awesome. I always press the eject key accidentaly. Well, I guess 4.9 completly runs like butter for me. :D

dmbream

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
Safari RSS / .Mac Bookmark Sync bug fixed

10.4.9 fixed the bug where RSS feeds would not update in Safari when "Sync Bookmarks with .Mac" was selected in Preferences.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track

OH... a new feature. Well I'll try it and see if it works. I didn't really mind it before, but I don't have discs in my computer all the time. But I do hit the eject button ALL THE TIME so I could see how this would be a very good idea.

Gee, thanks for letting me know. I'm really relieved now... THANKS!!

The Stig

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
My sister and I are having problems with our iMac's AirPort/No Connection!

I had to switched to XP Pro to get access to internet.

We are with Rogers Extreme High Speed/D-Link DI-624

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
Killed my SuperDrive

After the update, my drive no longer recognizes when there is a disc in the drive. I have tried DVDs, CDs and CD-Rs.
As noted before, the eject button is delayed as well.
I have NEVER had a problem after an update with this or any other Mac I have owned. In fact, I thought that people who claimed they had were crazy.
Until now.
Any suggestions?
I have repaired permissions ... can't run Hardware disc for obvious reasons.

I have a 17" iMac G4 ... (lamp style)

Thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.