Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
Hi -

For the first time since I've owned a mac, I have a problem that doesn't seem to be solved by a simple reboot!

I use an external USB 2.0 card reader to transfer images to my mac. I've been using it for a long long time (>1 yr) with the same 4GB CF cards. Until now, I can copy about 4GB in ~10 mins or so. Today, I'm only seeing about 3MB / sec read speed, and the est time (for 3.2GB) is 22 mins.

Just last week, I used an external 2.0 USB stick (1gb) that I hadn't used a long long time. I noticed that it was also very slow, but I didn't think much about it at the time. Thought maybe the stick had a problem. I tried to reformat the stick at that time, but it didn't change anything.

The only thing that's changed in the last few weeks for me is an update to 10.4.9, and the recent security fixes. Software update currently tells me I have no available updates, so I'm fully up-to-date.

So, now I'm concerned that there is either a hardware USB problem with my mac, or a recent update broke my USB somehow.

I'm on a first-gen macbook pro Core duo 2.0 15", 2GB ram, etc. Hard drive has plenty of space (>40gb), etc.

Anyone else having troubles with USB speed recently?

Thanks,
Eric

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
Yes. MY G5 1.8ghz is doing very poorly suddenly w/ USB. I don't know what to do. I was thinking about getting a PCI card or something.

Henge

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
10.4.9 usb 2.0 problem

Same here. I installed 10.4.9 and security update 2007-005 the other day and suddenly my USB peripherals are acting strange. Upon first bootup, they work fine, but over the course of the day it will drop down to ~USB 1.1 speeds. My iPod will suddenly take hours to update, and my USB flash drives will transfer much more slowly. A reboot temporarily fixes the problem.

Any ideas?

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Yeah....data transfer has slowed down via USB since 10.4.9. OP, your not the only one finding yourself in this situation. Port speeds should be back to normal in 10.4.10 when it is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.