10.4 and USB Wi-Fi problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SaxicolousOne, Jun 13, 2013.

1. SaxicolousOne macrumors newbie

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thank you in advance for whatever help you can give. I look forward to reciprocating.

I have just inherited an old PowerBook G4, running OS 10.4.11. It's 802.11b only. No good, so I picked up an Addlogix dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n USB adapter, model MA-WL-USB-N300. I can't seem to find a driver, either on the CD or the web, that will work with 10.4. 10.5 looks promising at Ralink's site (guessing as to which Ralink chip is inside), but I was told by the retailer that OS 10.4 onwards already included the necessary drivers.

The device does show up in the System Profiler when I plug it in, but I can't get it to do anything.

Addlogix's tech support link is broken--surely not a bad sign?? A commenter at another major retailer who carries this item says, "plug&play for my apple ibook powerpc g3! mac os x 10.4.11 didn't need the software; I just plugged in the stick. set the wireless utility in the system prefs & it works like a charm!"

Super. I just must not know where to click. Can someone help me?

Now if we have to get really geeky here, here's my idea: I want to see the details as to what driver, if any, is being associated with that device when I plug it in. This is surely possible in *nix, so could someone (familiar with the Terminal, perhaps) tell me what to do on that front? It would be a good thing to know in general, anyway.

2. addlogixinc macrumors newbie

10.4 and USB Wi-Fi problem

The new MA-WL-USB-N300 cd enclosed in the box has an installation video with specific instructions for installation. Please refer to your cd. If you have any further issues please contact us @ the phone number on your cd.