10.4 Apps Work on 10.5?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steiney, Jan 11, 2011.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

Hello All,

I am currently running 10.4 on my MBP, but due to work, it appears I am forced to upgrade to 10.5 at least, so that I can use some software that is integral to my job. I already have a CPU drop in DVD, so I'm assuming it should be a pretty easy upgrade. I'm planning to do it tonight.

My question is: Will all of my old 10.4 Apps run on 10.5, or will I need to install 10.5 and then update all my apps? I'm really hoping they will work as is, because I have a huge amount of apps and really don't want to have to update them before they will work again.

If anyone can answer my question, or has any tips, tricks, advice, etc. I would really appreciate the information.

Thanks in advance!

steiney

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that is certainly good news. Thanks for the information.

So with the drop in DVD, I just put it in and it does it's thing?

How much space should I expect it to consume?

Is it true that upgrading the OS instead of doing a clean install is bad and will result in problems down the road?

Everything works so well for me on 10.4. I'm very cautious about changing things.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Boot the DVD and you get an option for clean or update.
    It saves some space.

Opinions are divided on whether clean install is needed or not. I upgraded a 24" iMac and a 13" MBP with archive and install and had no problems. Others had problems.

I'd say it's important to back up the system first!

5. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Which saves space, the clean install or the upgrade? I'm guessing the clean install. As long as I can do the archive and install method, I should be fine. I just seriously cannot afford to mess up my computer right now.

I know I should back up everything first, but I have to have 10.5 installed by tonight, and I'm not really going to have time to do a backup first. Plus, I'm always worried that I'm not doing the right type of backup, and it's not going to work when I need it to. I've used Carbon Copy Cloner before but I'm always worried I'm not using the right settings. And I can never get Disk Utility to successfully make a DMG of my disk.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you do a clean install without backing up your apps and data, you will lose everything. I strongly recommend you backup, no matter what method you choose.

Just do the upgrade. There are rarely issues.

7. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

But is the upgrade going to take up a bunch of my precious disk space? I'm on a 2007 MBP with only a 120 GB HDD.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not too much more than is being taken up now.

9. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, cool. I really appreciate your help. I guess I have to do it either way, so it doesn't really matter. I'm just not a big fan of change, when it comes to personal stuff, and my computer is just about the most personal thing I can think of!

10. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

11. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

I probably should. I think I should at least do 10.5 first and then do 10.6 after. I've heard that it can mess things up if you go straight from 10.4 to 10.6.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You've heard wrong then. There are no issues with going straight from 10.4 to 10.6 via the normal upgrade.

jW

13. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

This is correct and not correct. Some APP will not work in 10.6 at all, depends on how old the APP is. :/

Hugh

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That has nothing to do with the topic at hand, however. He's planning to install 10.6 either way, it makes no difference if he installs 10.5 first, except the whole process would take longer if he did.

jW

15. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, well thank you very much everyone for your help. I didn't get to it last night, and probably won't tonight, but I think I'm gonna do it tomorrow night. I'm going to end up updating to 10.5 first, then possibly 10.6 later, just because I already have the 10.5 disc and need to do the upgrade ASAP. At least now I can do the system back up tonight, while I'm out, and then do the upgrade tomorrow, without the risk of losing everything.

Does anyone have a preferred method for doing complete backups? I want the type of backup that makes a DMG that can be easily dropped onto a computer in the event that everything needs to be replaced.

16. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Try Carbon Copy Cloner, it sounds like a good fit for you.

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

+1 on Carbon Copy Cloner. No better app out there for that purpose.

jW

18. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

I used CCC before and everything went well. It was the method where it copies everything on the hard drive into a folder. Now I can't seem to find that option. I can either create a DMG or backup everything to the top level of my external hard drive. It talks about deleting things that don't match the stuff on the laptop's hard drive, and I seriously would cry if any of the data on that hard drive was lost.

Am I overlooking something? It seems like I was able to do what I needed last time, and now I can't find that option.