10.4 backup wont boot

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Holmkjar, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Holmkjar macrumors newbie

Hi there

During an attempt to enable Classic on my PPC iMac G4 (USB 2.0, 1,25 GHz, 17"), I tried to make 2 partitions, one for OS9 and one for my existing 10.4 installation. I thought that I could just copy all the files from my existing installation on to another disk, make 2 clean partitions and copy back the files to partition 1, then start installing OS 9 on partition2 and so forth.

But I can't copy back the files from my existing 10.4 installation. At least I can't boot from it. Shouldn't it just work, since its exactly the same contents on the partition as before? I don't get it.

I've copied them back using several methods; through Target-disk mode (using my 2008 iMac with Lion), using the 10.4 installation disc > Disk Utility > restore from image (with an image of the backed up files made on my 2008 iMac.) It seems to be no problem getting the files into the right spot to make it exactly as before, but it just won't boot from it.

Ive tried to start it up holding down the option key, but without result...

2. vagabondlife4me macrumors newbie

If you didn't make the drive bootable and just did a drag and drop on to the drive then you are out of luck in regards to booting from the drive. I wold just reinstall 10.4 and then drag the items (media, docs, pics etc) from your home folder pickup.

3. Holmkjar thread starter macrumors newbie

Say, if I do a clean 10.4 installation on a drive, then I will be able to replace the folders with my backup and then boot from it? Will it recognise the drive as a bootable drive then?

Or do I have to keep the newly installed OS and only replace certain files, like docs, pics etc?