10.4 Install Disk Will Not Mount or Boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AverageGuy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. AverageGuy macrumors newbie

I am at a loss. I am unable to get my OS 10.4 Installer DVD to mount or boot my G4, currently running OS 10.4.11, though it mounts and boots other of my Macs and I am able to boot and mount a 10.1 DVD with my current Pioneer DVR-1060 drive. I would like to run a hardware test on my mac as I recently had one of my hard drives die and just want to check everything. So does not seem to be the drive and does not seem to be the DVDs. I zapped the pram, reset the open firmware and ran diagnostics using Applejack and everything checked out okay with my current internal drive. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If nothing else, I feel very uncomfortable having a system that I am unable to boot from my installer disk. Please help if you can!!!

2. mrbash macrumors 6502

It could be a defective drive. try attaching a different drive to see if that will read your disc.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Not sure why it's not working with your 10.4 disc, however you should understand that the hardware test is going to be found only on the original gray install DVDs that came with your Mac. A retail copy of OS X which may boot other systems will not have the Apple Hardware Test coded on the disc.

4. AverageGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

10.4 Install Disk Will Not Mount or Boot (Update)

I notice that the original Grey Label disk that came with the G4 is the OS 9.1. It boots the machine fine, but does not have Apple Hardware Test on it that I can tell. Just Disk Utility. The other disks I have were the update disks that I got from apple that upgraded my OS along the way to 10.1 and 10.4 and then the updates to now 10.4.11. So am I to understand that the only way to get the Apple Hardware Test is to have bought a computer since that has the Grey Label 10.4 disk??? Interesting thing is that the 10.4 disk I have did mount at one point, which is how I upgraded to 10.4 but now will not mount or boot. Is it because it is already installed. I am confused :).

5. Kelly the Dude macrumors newbie

Don't know if this helps, but I know Apple Hardware Test came on a separate disk on some Macs of that vintage. I have an old iBook that has a separate Apple Hardware Test disk.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think you can download the Apple Hardware Test on a cd image and burn it. I'm not sure but I remember seeing it for download on the Apple site.