10.4 VM on 10.6.2

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kimbie, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Kimbie macrumors regular

Kimbie

We currently have 8 imacs running 10.4 the white ones, with the current imac stand not the tea pot one.

Now I have to do some testing with our new Exchange system with 10.4, I have a MBP with 10.6 on it, how can I do a virtual install of 10.4 on it? Preferably for free

Many thanks

Kimbie

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The EULA for 10.4 prohibits all virtual installs. Starting with 10.5 OSX Server (not the normal version) may be installed in virtualized environments only on OSX and only if you have a separate license for each virtual install.

3. Kimbie thread starter macrumors regular

Kimbie

Well thats a bugger, guess I will have to steal one of their imacs then

Thanks for the info

Kimbie

4. robj macrumors regular

Leaving the legalities,

Is it technically possible to install a regular OS X in a virtualized way (VMWare, Parallels) ?

I mean, without using iAktos and that kind of hackishtonshers tools

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I found that its generally not worth the effort to try to get it to work. I tried and was successful but found the environment very unstable slow and not really feasible to use. Perhaps depending on what machine you're running the host OS and VM on will matter but on my MBP it was not anywhere near usable.

If this is just for testing, I think its even less feasible, but that's just my $.02

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You'll need a 64-bit processor (Core 2 Duo or Higher) to run OSX Server in a Virtual Machine. Core Duo models cannot run it on VMware Fusion. Tried it.

Yes.