10.5.0 + "Software Update" OR buy new 10.5.5 DVD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThomasJL, Oct 23, 2008.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine was given first generation Intel iMac, but without a hard drive (his uncle, who originally bought the computer, removed and kept the hard drive because he needed his data). My friend bought a new hard drive, and has not installed Leopard yet because he wanted me to ask you all this question:

When Leopard first came out last year, he immediately bought the install DVD, which is version 10.5.0. For the absolute best performance, should he install version 10.5.0 and then run Software Update to update it to 10.5.5, or should he go to the Apple Store and buy the latest 10.5.5 install DVD? Is there any advantage to the latter?

(Money is not an issue for him, and he lives within walking distance of an Apple Store.)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There will be no difference at all in the final systems and there will be no difference in performance. The only difference is the time it takes to download the updates to the 10.5.0 system.

4. mispolyc macrumors newbie

Install the 10.5.5 update

If you have a fast download rate, then you should definitely go with downloading the update. It is a 600 mb file, but definitely worthwhile. There are many significant improvements in stability and performance.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

how long has 10.5.5 been out? I wouldn't be surprised if what you find on the shelves at the local retail store is a slightly older version of 10.5 that will need the update to get to 10.5.5

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It looks like Amazon still has the retail 10.5.4 discs out.

10.5.5 was released on September 15th, 2008.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

If downloading is that slow, take the $100 for 10.5.5 and purchase some faster internet access.

8. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

If you're friend already has the Leopard disk he should just install that and download the update. It's kind of pointless to buy another copy just for an update.