Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freejack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Hi. Long time lurker. Need some emergency help.

I quit all running apps and downloaded the update. Clicked reboot and the computer closed the dock and everything else, just my wallpaper remained. I stared for 10 minutes hoping it was doing something. Put my ear to the place where the hd should be and didn't hear any read/write access so I forced the machine to shutdown. On reboot it now goes straight to setup assistant. After going through the steps and clicking Done it just brings me right back to the beginning of the setup wizard.

What should my next course of action be?

Thanks!

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Hi. Long time lurker. Need some emergency help.

I quit all running apps and downloaded the update. Clicked reboot and the computer closed the dock and everything else, just my wallpaper remained. I stared for 10 minutes hoping it was doing something. Put my ear to the place where the hd should be and didn't hear any read/write access so I forced the machine to shutdown. On reboot it now goes straight to setup assistant. After going through the steps and clicking Done it just brings me right back to the beginning of the setup wizard.

What should my next course of action be?

Thanks!

You should've been patient and let the thing finish - there's a warning not to turn off while update is in progress. Go to apple's support site and see if you can find a solution there. I hope you have a good back up!

KK

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
SOLUTION:
This happened to me.
I booted up in Safe Mode (hold SHIFT down at startup), logged into my account, finished the Setup Assistant, then it looped back to the login screen. Then I clicked the Restart button at the login menu. From there, it continued the install of 10.5.1, restarted, and I was back in action!

You probably don't have to do anything with the Setup Assistant, just be able to restart so you can trigger the update. Holding SHIFT allows you to get to the login screen and click restart... I have 2 user accounts, I'm not sure if this will work with only 1 user account - it might bypass the login screen area that allows you to restart.

Hope that helps!
Lee Tom

kflook

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
Gettysburg, PA
You probably don't have to do anything with the Setup Assistant, just be able to restart so you can trigger the update. Holding SHIFT allows you to get to the login screen and click restart... I have 2 user accounts, I'm not sure if this will work with only 1 user account - it might bypass the login screen area that allows you to restart.

Well, this just happened to me now with the GarageBand 4.1.1 and QuickTime 7.3.1 for Leopard Update. I was able to just restart immediately from the login screen after I booted in Safe Mode, I didn't do anything with the Setup Assistant. Once I restarted the update picked up where it left off and all is well again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.