10.5.1: When available in stores?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DanK104, Nov 15, 2007.

1. DanK104 macrumors member

Does anyone have a sense of how long it takes a revision like this to be the version available in retail stores? I suspect that the Apple stores will get it fairly quickly, but I wonder about places like Amazon and university computer stores (which is where I expect to get it)?

Anyone know or remember from previous OS revisions?

DanK

2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

The odds are that wont happen. Just buy regular Leopard, and then download the update trough software update.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Apple will only release updates via download.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It will be a very, very, very long time before the retail Leopard installer is updated from 10.5.
    I wouldn't expect the gold master to be replaced until 10.5.5 or later.

Think of it this way.. financially speaking, what is the point in redoing all your installer DVDs for each incremental OS Update release?

5. newfoundglory macrumors 6502

For Tiger, the gold master was replaced with 10.4.3, and then 10.4.6

I reckon 10.5.3 to 10.5.5 before its replaced in stores.....

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Apple occasionally updates the retail versions. I believe they updated them for Tiger with 10.4.3 and 10.4.6. I certainly wouldn't expect them to do so with 10.5.1 so soon after release. Give them about six months' worth of update before they switch the retail ones over.

7. DanK104 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I had thought that they would start pressing the revised versions once they were released. Sounds like I was wrong. (It's not the first time!)

8. newfoundglory macrumors 6502

more updates wont be far off.... 10.5.1 has been finished for a while... apple will have already started working on 10.5.2, and on fixing the long bug list.... we'll be at 10.5.3 before we know it.

9. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

DanK104 is not totally out in left field here..

When I bought Tiger in summer 06 it installed as 10.4.6 before I did any software updates.

10. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I bought in May 07 and got 10.4.9

Seeing that it was the week the SR MBPs came out, I'm guessing that a hardware update would be a likely time they would update the actual discs.

11. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I could be wrong but I think they may update the included install discs (machine specific) faster than they update the standalone retail version?

12. iVoid macrumors 65816

Yes, generally the machine specific disc swill be whatever version is current. Often, that's because the new machines need the newer version (additional drivers, apps, tweeks may be part of the update).

13. Pendora macrumors newbie

Is it possible to add the update to the install disk? Like you can with the SP from Windows?