Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Hi all...

I am considering the above upgrade. A few considerations as below

1. I can avail of an education/ staff discount from Apple
  2. i can trade in the 10.5 for A$355 (at the Apple store)
  3. I will need the 2nd gen Pencil and a case (which I’d prefer to buy from Apple. Not sure if education discount applies, but that’s irrelevant). Adding these after the trade in brings the cost back up to slighty lower than the education discount price)
Why am I thinking about the upgrade?

I should mention two things first: (1) I bought the 10.5 on release day (2) Luckily I don’t have the white spot problem. But I am noticing a marginal degradation of battery which is to be expected. Further, I am not sure if I wait longer I will get a better price for the 10.5 trade in. Further, the 10.5 has 64GB of storage of which, since I am careful, I have used about 60%. The 11” comes stock with 128GB storage, which means I can be more easy about this. Plus, the 11” comes with USB-C, which means (I assume), I can use external storage devices.

My primary use is for my university related work, which is extensive reading, annotating, note taking, document reviews, web-based research and some minor document creation. I extensive use apps like PDF Expert, OneNote, OneDrive, Kindle, Office, some Reddit and Twitter etc.

I have gotten used to Pro Motion and the 4 speaker set up though I use TWE more frequently. Also, I travel quite a bit so carrying ease is important to me. I will not get the Magic Keyboard as I use an external BT KB at the moment and that suits my limited purposes.

Lastly, I intend to keep the iPad for a minimum of 3 years possibly more.

What do you folks think? Is this a worthwhile thought or am I just being deluded and possibly wasting money?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I MUST add that I really don’t like the charging method of the Gen 1 Pencil with the 10.5. This is a real problem for me when traveling and/ or when on campus .

Last edited:

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I don’t really understand your reason for wanting to upgrade. I have the 10.5 and it’s still performing as well as 3 years ago. The 2020 iPad Pro has a nicer looking design, better pencil charging design, and USB-C. However, all the apps you use daily will likely feel the same as they do now, besides maybe being slightly quicker. Will you really use external USB-C storage if you’re only using 60% of 64GB storage now and your storage will double if you upgrade?

The A12Z processor is now basically 2 years old at this point too. I don’t think any of the Pro models are necessarily a good buy right now unless you really need one immediately. If I bought a new model right now, I’d be really concerned about the upcoming A14-based Pro models and likely feel that the upgrade isn‘t worth it if the software basically feels the same as it does on my 10.5, especially after the cost of buying a new case and new Pencil too. Waste of money imo.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Marginal upgrade, as much as I like the form factor of my 2018 11”. The Pencil really is a more convenient design and nicer to use. The other major improvement is really the Magic Keyboard which completely transforms the device. It feels a LOT more like a real hybrid of a laptop and digital notebook now. It’s by far the best implementation of a keyboard/trackpad I’ve ever used on this kind of device (including a couple of Surface Pro’s I owned).

However, if you’re not interested in the Magic Keyboard, seems like a lot of money for minimal change.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Thanks folks for knocking some sense and reality into me. I needed that. Of course, you are right, the upgrade benefits are, in the way you describe them, marginal (Well, except for the pencil charging mechanism).

Reactions: mr_jomo

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi all...

I am considering the above upgrade. A few considerations as below

1. I can avail of an education/ staff discount from Apple
  2. i can trade in the 10.5 for A$355 (at the Apple store)
  3. I will need the 2nd gen Pencil and a case (which I’d prefer to buy from Apple. Not sure if education discount applies, but that’s irrelevant). Adding these after the trade in brings the cost back up to slighty lower than the education discount price)
Why am I thinking about the upgrade?

I should mention two things first: (1) I bought the 10.5 on release day (2) Luckily I don’t have the white spot problem. But I am noticing a marginal degradation of battery which is to be expected. Further, I am not sure if I wait longer I will get a better price for the 10.5 trade in. Further, the 10.5 has 64GB of storage of which, since I am careful, I have used about 60%. The 11” comes stock with 128GB storage, which means I can be more easy about this. Plus, the 11” comes with USB-C, which means (I assume), I can use external storage devices.

My primary use is for my university related work, which is extensive reading, annotating, note taking, document reviews, web-based research and some minor document creation. I extensive use apps like PDF Expert, OneNote, OneDrive, Kindle, Office, some Reddit and Twitter etc.

I have gotten used to Pro Motion and the 4 speaker set up though I use TWE more frequently. Also, I travel quite a bit so carrying ease is important to me. I will not get the Magic Keyboard as I use an external BT KB at the moment and that suits my limited purposes.

Lastly, I intend to keep the iPad for a minimum of 3 years possibly more.

What do you folks think? Is this a worthwhile thought or am I just being deluded and possibly wasting money?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I MUST add that I really don’t like the charging method of the Gen 1 Pencil with the 10.5. This is a real problem for me when traveling and/ or when on campus .
The iPad Air 4 seems like a better deal to me. The only major downside is that you lose out on ProMotion.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
I did just that. It took me over 6 months to get $400 for my 10.5 IPP WITH LTE and a UAG case.

It was totally NOT worth it.

The screen is great though....
What do you mean when you say it took you to 6 months to get $400? In my case I would simply be trading in the 10.5 at the store if I was to go ahead with it, though after all observations shared here, I am increasingly disinclined to go ahead with this.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Also, one question which none of you seem to have addressed. Surely, if I wait for another year, the trade in price of the 10.5 will likely go lower than now. Would I be correct in assuming that? I specifically mean trade in at the Apple store.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Also, one question which none of you seem to have addressed. Surely, if I wait for another year, the trade in price of the 10.5 will likely go lower than now. Would I be correct in assuming that? I specifically mean trade in at the Apple store.

Yes, that’s a very reasonable assumption that the trade-in value would decrease.

Reactions: kristalsoldier

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It will but probably by just $50 or something.

Reactions: kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
They’re kind of locked for each year, when a new model comes out Apple decreases the price for older models.
Ok thanks. So that means whatever trade in price is being offered today will stay in place for at least 6 months from now or till the new iPad Pro is released whiche is first.

lmitch6

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
WA
I’m doing the same upgrade as you’re considering. For me I think it’s worth it. The charging method of the gen 1 pencil is annoying as you’ve said, and as it’s becoming my primary computing device the larger screen with no home button won me over. I tend to keep my iPads around 3 years as well, but am hoping to keep the 2020 a bit longer.

teksurv

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
San Diego, CA
I'm making this switch. My 10.5 does have the white spot issue and it bugs me to no end. If not for that I wouldn't bother upgrading this year.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
What do you mean when you say it took you to 6 months to get $400? In my case I would simply be trading in the 10.5 at the store if I was to go ahead with it, though after all observations shared here, I am increasingly disinclined to go ahead with this.
Trade in was well below $400. Thought I'd get more from Craigslist. I was wrong.

eric89074

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Wait for the next pro with the A14X then upgrade. I have the 10.5 pro and borrowed an 11" pro. I hate that apple too away the split keyboard from the 11" pro.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I was a happy 10.5 user, but the 11" IPP with 2nd generation pencil was a game changer and improved every aspect of pen computing with the iPad. It's my most used thing and I probably couldn't do my work without it now.

What you have to remember though, is that an iPad is still 'just' an iPad. There is nothing extra in terms of features/capabilities that you can do on the new IPP vs, the 10.5. Notetaking, apps, productivity and games are all the same on all iPads. For that matter, they are just the same on the $329 base iPad.

The 'pro' is a misnomer - it's more of a luxury thing than a pro thing. It's just that calling it the iPad 'deluxe' didn't go down well with the marketing folks at Apple. Pro-motion is cool, but does it add utility? Probably not. FaceID is cool, but do you hate using TouchID so much that you want to throw away your iPad? I doubt it. USB-C is cool - until you realize that your iPhone is lightning and now you have to travel with two chargers.

In short, if you can afford then go for it. If you're just craving shiny and new stuff, then don't. After the short-term high of buying it wears off, you will find yourself realizing that all you did was lighten your wallet.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
I was a happy 10.5 user, but the 11" IPP with 2nd generation pencil was a game changer and improved every aspect of pen computing with the iPad. It's my most used thing and I probably couldn't do my work without it now.

What you have to remember though, is that an iPad is still 'just' an iPad. There is nothing extra in terms of features/capabilities that you can do on the new IPP vs, the 10.5. Notetaking, apps, productivity and games are all the same on all iPads. For that matter, they are just the same on the $329 base iPad.

The 'pro' is a misnomer - it's more of a luxury thing than a pro thing. It's just that calling it the iPad 'deluxe' didn't go down well with the marketing folks at Apple. Pro-motion is cool, but does it add utility? Probably not. FaceID is cool, but do you hate using TouchID so much that you want to throw away your iPad? I doubt it. USB-C is cool - until you realize that your iPhone is lightning and now you have to travel with two chargers.

In short, if you can afford then go for it. If you're just craving shiny and new stuff, then don't. After the short-term high of buying it wears off, you will find yourself realizing that all you did was lighten your wallet.
Wise words. Though I don’t use an iphone and my Android phone uses a USB-C charger, though it’s a fast charger.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Ok. Got you. This is the thing that concerns me a bit. The trade in value will fall, possibly dramatically. And, I don’t have family to who this can be handed down to.
If you're worried about trade in value, that would be a reason to upgrade now. I would try Swappa and Craigslist first and see what you can get for it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.