10.5.2 and 8800gt buying question.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gunga Din, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I know both the 10.5.2 and 8800gt are just around the corner now. I was going to buy my Mac from a retail store.

Question, will the retail stores carry the 8800gt upgrade kit when its available and if I go in to buy the new Stock Mac Pro will they put the 8800gt card in for me and take out the ATI ? See what i'm getting at?

Maybe I should wait 2-3 weeks until the 10.5.2 update and 8800gt card are under control before I buy.

Your thoughts?

Also, I forget where I read it, but someone said he would go with the ATI for now because if they release newer ACD's then both the ATI and 8800gt would not have all the necessary pieces to use them to their full potential. Any idea what this guy meant? Is he talking about an HDMI output or something? Guess he's thinking there might be another card after the 8800gt to use for the new ACD's. If so, I'd buy my Mac Pro this weekend with the ATI card and upgrade later to this imaginary video card.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

2. matthews macrumors regular

I was told at my local apple store that as far as Mac Pros go, they basically only carry the base configurations, and if you want to customize/upgrade, you're going to have to buy online.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Assuming they carry it, they'd be happy to swap it for you - after you pay full retail for the 8800gt and likely a labor fee for the swap. You're likely better off custom ordering it.

4. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I called and someone told me that they could swap it. I'm not 100% but i thought she said minus the cost of the ATI card. That would be great. I'm gonna call again.

5. sirris101 macrumors member

I don't know if Apple stores will be carrying the 8800GT alone, but they will be carrying an "ultimate configuration" of the new Mac Pro which includes:

3.2 ghz procs
    2gb
    500gb standard
    8800GT
    2 Superdrives

$4799...

6. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Anyone know what company would be selling the 8800GT for $250 or less, when available?

7. TFT macrumors member

Hdmi <-> dvi

You just need a connector ... what everybody does in order to connect a PSX3/Xbox360 to a flat screen. Main difference is the audio channel, but I guess who cares with a audio out anyhow.

Also note there are better screens out there for less money than a ACD (sure they look different, but my Eizo still looks cool even if black) with DVI. Furthermore, making them not compatible with DVI would reduce their potential market.

So, do not worry! And simply join the crowd (like me) waiting for the delivery boy! And hunting for memory (ot better waiting a few months for the price to settle down).