10.5.2 and MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sdhollman, Feb 12, 2008.

1. sdhollman macrumors regular

So any nightmare stories or is everything cool? Just wondering if I should update or not.

I read on the Apple forums some poor guy's MacPro REV 1 got bricked by 10.5.2

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

My Internet has gotten sort of herky jerky, starting and stopping in fits. The page-load speed is all gone.

3. newtech macrumors 6502

No issues here, on Mac Pro 1,1; two G5's and two MDD. ;)

Upgraded G4 Digital Audio doesn't like any flavor of 10.5 ( installer runs but freezes about 70% of the way through ) .

4. sdhollman thread starter macrumors regular

On Safari?

5. tvbi macrumors member

No problem here on an older MP. Safari seem faster, apps load up faster, and system wake up is a lot faster.

6. Play4keeps macrumors regular

7. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

More like cinder-blocked! :D :D :D

8. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

9. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

LOL.

She wants me to tell you its ok, you will find someone else. :D

10. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

HAHA. Thanks for the laugh so early in the morning.

My 2008 Mac Pro is working fine with 10.5.2. It was a little jerky right after the install, but that was due to all the crap that was going on (reindexing, etc.). Once that finished, it has been running beautifully.

11. whbrown42 macrumors newbie

Some Problems

Immediately after upgrading to 10.5.2 I started having connect issues with my Airport Xpress base station. Every 15-30 minutes my connection to the network would be severed and take a few seconds to re-establish. Extremely annoying to say the least.

I tried rebooting my modem and base station as well as my computer, and that helped slightly, but I continued to have sporadic connect issues.

This morning I checked and noticed I was on old firmware for the base station, and corrected that. No problems since then, so I'm hoping it was just the firmware problem. I've heard of similar network issues for Macbook Pro users, but not from desktop models yet.

12. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

I applied the combo update, followed by the graphics update and I haven't had any problems so far (knock wood ;)). Also, I would agree with others that most operations feel a bit faster.

13. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Well I have been having wierd problems with my mac pro. Sometimes on boot the keyboard and mouse would not be recognized. Also, constant crashes of ichat when doing video chat and ofcourse wake from sleep complete system crash and automatic reboot.

After 10.5.2 I still have the crash after wake from sleep. Have not tested anything else yet. Might need to take the system in and have it looked at.

14. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

In hindsight; I'd take a working Mac Pro over my ex any day.

15. whbrown42 macrumors newbie

Update: After a little bit of time I'm sad to report that my airport connection continues to drop erratically. This is going to get old quickly, and I hope the issue is addressed quickly, considering how much more commonly it seems to be hitting the macbook line.

For those that care, I'm running on 2 2.66 Dual-Core Xeon with 2 gigs of ram. The outages on my wireless are only brief bursts, and it's fairly clear that it's the fault of the patch and not some local electromagnetic disturbance as my laptop and older desktop have not been experiencing any of the disconnects that my Mac Pro has since installing this patch.

If anyone else is suffering from these same problems or has a solution, I'd love to hear it.

16. Photomax macrumors regular

No problems with my 2x2.8 GHz Mac Pro (January 2008).

I have slow as hell DSL (gotta change that) but began the download before bed. Did the install in the AM, let it chug through its thing. Then rebooted again and all seems fine and stable...

First thing I looked for was the menu bar transparency...

17. siorai macrumors 6502

The only problem I had was that the sound output was changed from line-out to internal speakers.

18. jameskohn macrumors 6502

All is fine on my Quad Xeon 3Ghz. My computer has been hanging up at shut down ever since Leopard upgrade, and I was hoping 10.5.2 would fix that, but it didn't. Otherwise, all is well since 10.5.2. Kind of anti-climatic actually.

19. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

All is good with Mac Pro 1,1. Everything works snappily. Applied a combo update on a clean install and then repaired permissions.

20. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

I had the same problem.

21. peejack macrumors 6502a

22. Mister9 macrumors regular

Yeah I am on a Macbook Pro and my internet does that same thing from time to time- not every 15 to 30 minutes, but once in a while it will just lose connection and then I have to click the airport icon let it load (it won't show my connection) move over to the battery index then move it back to the airport and let it scan again and usually my network 'Nizzle' shows up again and I click on it- kind of second nature to me now tho cuz I've gotten used to it... so ur right, it might get old quick.

23. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

No Problems whatsoever, Safari seems snappier, backed up beforehand just in case, but worried over nowt ;)

24. itou macrumors regular

i had a sound problem. nothing was coming out until i turned the system off and on and ichat crashes all the time. i never put my system to sleep so i don't have the sleep/reboot problem. the graphics card has not failed yet, so i'm happy. i don't notice much of a speed increase. i'm just thankful nothing's died yet.

25. ceres macrumors regular

same here.