10.5.2 Cant get onto WiFi network that has no security any longer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glennbkr1, Feb 20, 2008.

1. glennbkr1 macrumors newbie

I have a weird problem, and I haven't been able to find an answer online, on Apples tech support, or by going to an apple store "genius bar" at this point.

I upgraded to 10.5.2 last thursday, and ever since I have I can no longer get onto my WiFi network that I share with some other folks in my condo complex common area that has no security, its an open network. When I attempt to get on, it gives me a "cannot connect" message, and prompts me to go into network diagnostics. here is where the weird part comes in. When i try and cponnect to the network via network diagnostics it is prompting me to enter in a WEP password. There is no password for this network, and prior to downloading 10.5.2 I could connect without any issues. My iPhone connects without any issues. I even deleted the site from my iPhone in case maybe they had somehow put a password requirement on the system and it was just coincidence that it kicked in 30 seconds after my 10.5.2 update was installed (OK so i am grasping at straws here).

The bottom line is, I can get onto Wifi in other areas, but when i am home this is the main place I kick back and browse the internet, play online games, etc. so this is very frustrating. Does anyone have any idea why this update would not recognize a non secure network now? There is no WEP encryption password, as I can get on the network with both my iPhone and GASP my Windows XP based work laptop, neither of which prompts me for a password, I just click on the network and I am in.

I am at a loss here, any advice you can give would be much appreciated. I am going through internet withdrawl symptoms at this point, and I may be forcred to actually get my butt off the couch and do something productive if I can't get back online at home.

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

Try removing the profile that is stored for that wireless network.

Go to: System Preferences -> Network -> (select your AirPort adapter in the list to the left) -> Click "Advanced" -> (select the name of the wireless network you are having problems with) -> click the minus "-" button to remove it.

Then, allow your computer rediscover the network and ask you if you want to join it. Post if that helps. :)

3. glennbkr1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope,

I have tried that previously. To be sure I tried it again last night at home, still no result.

When i try and connect to the open network by clicking on the wireless indicator it turns to a dark grey background with a light grey wireless indicator and just hands for a long time. If I try and go into network diagnostics and connect there it is asking me for a WEP password. It is not a WEP secure network as I can get on the newtork with my PC or my iPhone without entering any password (I deleted the network profiles from both those machines and reconnected without any issues)

Any other people with any ideas?

4. Mark Morb macrumors regular

Mark Morb

I have got exactly the same problem....just as you describe it :mad:

Any other advice would be appreciated...Applecare just got me to do a few things which has not helped....everything worked fine until a week or two ago!!!

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

This sounds odd. After reading this (I just happened to bring my wife's MB to work) I opened up my wife's MB and tried to connect to the open network in our building. It connected fine.

I DID have issues at another building that had and "Open access" network but only to find out it wasn't truely open. This one is and is setup for business travelers and our MB connected.

Unsure what I did other than the standard "connect to network"

6. mediaguru macrumors regular

7. glennbkr1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the article reference. There are a couple of thoughts there I haven't tried so I will let you know if any of them work.

However, since if it doens't I will be without WiFi access through the weekend, do you see any downside to me re-installing my original leopard software 10.5 rather then trying to figure this out (Been a week thus far no luck and WAY too much time spent on something that shouldn't be an issue since I have nothing but apple hardware, and hardly any non-Apple software loaded on my computer....to be honest if I was within my 90 days I would have returned my MacBook pro in frustration already despite my previous experience where I had absolutley zero complaints. To be honest, I have NEVER encountered a PC issue I couldn't figure out and fix in this same type of timeframe. Troubleshooting MACs is new to me, but the procedures of checking th simple things first, then eliminating possible causes one by one jsut eems to be getting me nowhere here)
    I figure maybe its worth reinstalling leopard from scratch seeing if that works to get me back online, and I can wait it out until they get an update that will fix these issues. And I am definitely going to utilize my new external drive and timemachine going forward...sheesh what a pain.

Any downside to reinstalling 10.5 other then not getting some of the 10.5.1 updates?

8. glennbkr1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gave up and reinstalled 10.4 from CD

I exhausted every forum, tech support, and apple 10.5.2 posting I could find on wireless and problems with 10.5.2. I updatd Firmware on my router, went thorugh network diagnsostics with Apple support folks as well as the "Genius bar" at an Apple store. Changed several settings (For those that are having connection drop problems, check out apple.com and the forums there, one person found a setting change that a TON of people used which fixed that problem for many). Eventually i gave up, and dumped all my important personal files to an external harddrive and I tried re-installing 10.4 from the CD i bought. Now everything is back up and running. It kind of stinks, because I did like many of the updates on 10.5.2 other then the fact it messed up my WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity. I will wait around for the next update and hope that it will address the problems I ran into.